Spruance Site Engineering Manager
11 - 15 years experience • Energy & Environmental Services
DuPont is a science company dedicated to solving challenging global problems, while creating measurable and meaningful value for its customers, employees and shareholders. Our dynamic portfolio of products, materials and services meets the ever-changing market needs of diverse industries in more than 90 countries. We unite around a set of core values—safety and health, environmental stewardship, highest ethical behavior and respect for people.
DuPont was built on a proud heritage and a collaborative ethic. As part of DowDuPont, we continue to partner with like-minded companies to help supply Earth’s burgeoning population with better, safer food; abundant and sustainable energy; and protection for what matters most—our planet and its inhabitants.
The Spruance site is located near the border of Chesterfield and Henrico Counties in Richmond, VA and has 3 vibrant business units, Nomex®, Kevlar® and Tyvek®.
This position Leads and manages the delivery of engineeringtechnologies and associated capital projects for the organization. Scope includes engineeringtechnology for conceptual development, new facility projects, and asset productivity programs. Works closely with business management to understand business objectives, affordability and develop programs to meet established needs.
Reviews and prioritizes work from multiple clients. Plans and staffs internal and external resources to meet demand. Accountable for establishing and meeting cost/capital budgets and for effective technology delivery. Responsible for determining the leveraging strategy and for the management and oversight of full service contractors.
The Site Engineering Manager reports directly to the Spruance Plant Manager with strong supporting relationship to the Global Business Engineering Manager
This position is responsible for the success of the capital execution for the Spruance Site’s annual capital program ($50-70MM+ on average). Success is measured by safety, cost, schedule, quality, contribution to business improvement and general capital effectiveness.
Role currently has 8 direct and 35+ indirect reports. Indirect reports include design contractors and resident construction engineers who oversee and direct an approximate 120+-person resident work force in addition to ad hoc lump sum contractors. The position encompasses both leadership and tactical responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Accountability for safety performance of direct and indirect employees
- Responsible for overall site engineering leadership, processes and systems and maximizing engineering effectiveness in support of the site businesses. Engage business, operations, and maintenance leadership to assure alignment on execution strategies and priorities, tailoring capital execution strategies specific to each project to drive execution value
- Integrates with the BEM/BEL/CEL relative to capital planning and execution and key contractors/suppliers.
- Areas of responsibility include: Project Management, Engineering Design, Project Procurement, Construction, Contract Administration/Contractor Management, Warehousing, supplemental maintenance, TAR Support, infrastructure maintenance, and the Minor Project Process. Ensure each are aligned with site and business objectives
- Robust QA project program for capital addressing equipment fabrication and installation quality
- Drives accountability throughout the manufacturing organization with respect to lockout/turnover/decommissioning & commissioning/start-up/prove-out planning
- Ensures Site Engineering capability is consistent with the business direction, aligns with the corporate engineering competency, and delivers a competitive advantage.
- Responsible for the renewing, retaining and development the competency of the engineering resources on site(s). Responsible to drive E2E QA/QC program for capital execution
- Ensures resident contracted workforce size is competitively sized to meet the needs of capital execution and supplemental plant maintenance
- Proactive succession planning, retaining, and development of the capital execution competencies
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, & ABILITIES
Bachelordegree in engineering or equivalent experience
12years or more experience leading the end to end process of a broad spectrum of capital projects - ($500M - $10MM minimum).
Experience leveraging contracted engineering firms (EPCM) to support project execution/construction.
Demonstrated leadership and negotiating skills.
Ability to work with and positively influence resources external to DuPont.
Prioritization and delegation skills are a must.
EPC schedule comprehension and development.
Demonstrated success with alignment of business objectives to project scopes.
Black Belt and/or DPS Lead Expert
Experience managing direct reports is required
Commitment to DuPont Core Values and Behaviors