The individual must be able to execute broad engineering and/or scientific assignments in designated areas of technology including product development, testing and evaluation, manufacturing and process design. An engineer at this level is also responsible for applicable documentation and reports. This individual could be recognized as an expert in the evaluation of typically 1-3 Rexnord divisional product lines as well as select external customer products.
The individual will develop standard work processes for areas of responsibility, including development and documentation of routings and routing templates, working with Shop Floor Associates to identify improvements, and collaborating with the Operations team to utilize best practices. The individual may use existing procedures but is expected to develop new procedures and techniques. They will be recognized as a leader and work with little supervision to perform assigned tasks that may be new or complex in nature. A very high level of evaluation, originality or ingenuity is required and the engineer will have significant latitude for non-reviewed action or decision. The engineer could be responsible for large projects. This position reports to a department manager.
• Develop standard work processes for areas of responsibility, including development and documentation of routings and routing templates, working with Shop Floor Associates to identify improvements, and collaborating with the Operations team to utilize best practices.
• Review and analyze options and create justifications for appropriate capital equipment and associated expenses, and manage implementation of said equipment.
• Participate in and lead as necessary department kaizen, 5S, 3P, and brainstorming events.
• Recommend the best manufacturing method, tolerances, choice of components, or construction to accomplish function and minimize cost.
• Plan and guide personnel in the development of methods and procedures for changing or testing processes, products, or systems.
• Assist Operations to ensure flawless operation of equipment and product by completing preventative maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, calibrating, troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs, and maintaining equipment inventories. Assist Operations in operation, calibration, maintenance, and repair activities to obtain optimum utilization of machines and equipment.
• Perform independent evaluations or validations of equipment by establishing operating conditions, devising performance tests, setting up apparatus, conducting tests, recording and analyzing results, modifying components and making changes needed to improve equipment.
• Research and analyze data such as customer design proposal, specifications and manuals to determine feasibility of a design, application or test.
• Compliance with and input to all standard operating procedures used in their area of expertise
• Execute assigned project work and accomplish project goals, including development of project plans, schedule and budget, and appropriate communication. Maintain project and prepare detailed written reports on a project as necessary.
• Communicate progress and problems clearly in written and oral reports as well as organizing and leading project review meetings
• Work individually or as part of a team after self-training or mentoring on a task or standard operating procedure.
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial, Mechanical, or Manufacturing Engineering or similar field
• Minimum of 8+ years experience in an engineering capacity within a manufacturing environment
• Proficiency using 3D modeling software, SolidWorks strongly preferred
• Significant experience with machining, including equipment selection, process design, and tooling design and selection
• Strong project management skills
• Experience researching, specifying, purchasing, and implementing capital equipment projects
• Demonstrated success in applying Lean manufacturing tools and principles
• Demonstrated success in cost reductions related to process improvements
• Strong computer skills required, including spreadsheet applications and Microsoft Office Suite
• Gear machining or design experience strongly preferred
• Prior leadership experience, i.e. Supervisor, Group or Team Leader
• Six Sigma or Lean Greenbelt Certification