System Safety Engineer (Driver Assistance and Automated Driving)
As one of the largest North American automotive suppliers, Bosch develops, manufactures and supplies precision components and systems - including body electronics, chassis and powertrain products - for vehicle manufacturers worldwide. Since its foundation 1886, the company accelerates the progress of Automotive Technology with continued innovations. By choice, we are committed to a diverse workforce - EOE/Protected Veteran/Disabled.
The Chassis Systems Control division develops and manufactures innovative components, functions and systems that are designed to make driving a safe and comfortable experience.
We are especially committed to developing sensors that observe vehicle surroundings and advancing new functions and systems that protect lives. In the future, we will network vehicles to other road users, infrastructure and the internet to ensure that our vision of accident and injury-free driving becomes a reality
Our team is looking for a functional safety expert for system software developments teams for autonomous driving and driver assistance.
The expert is responsible for analyzing customer system architectures and functional requirements from a functional safety perspective. The expert is expected to work with the functional design team through the life cycle of the project to ensure safety of the design ground up. Conflicting requirements or inconsistent architectures are to be highlighted and discussed with the customer as needed. They act like gate keepers with the safety manager to ensure our deliverables are bench marked from the safety perspective while considering performance.
Our functional safety experts will work hand in hand with the system integration and validation engineers. Validation for autonomous vehicles is expected to be different from classical black box testing and knowledge of the system model will be critical.
We are working on the next generation of core software intended for our future driver assistance and automated driving applications for our OEM customers. We intend to develop this software by designing it from the ground up and within a defined framework. We believe that this will allow automated driving software to move from the realm of prototype to on-road release for all consumers. Most of these functions will be safety critical and safety relevant. We also have existing functionality that will need to be supported.
With autonomous driving, certain functional safety concepts like “controllability” will have be re-visited. We expect changes in the domain of system safety and safety of the intended function (SOTIF) and consider it exciting times to be safety expert.
System design and analysis
- You will create/analyze system design using available modeling tools to meet requirements.You will need to understand the requirements from the end user perspective while considering constraints and safety standards as your main objective.
- You will perform or review safety analysis using standard deductive (FMEA, FMEDA...) and inductive (H&R, FTA) methods, the outcomes of these analysis will inform your system design/architecture.
- You will be ask to judge if system design/architecture can fulfill requirements, considering hardware-software components, interfaces, functional and environmental dependencies, using basic understanding of computer/vehicle networks, hardware and software design.
- You will develop, collaborate and manage safety requirement specifications to meet safety standards and practices using safety analysis method and Bosch process.
- You will be asked to advice and train developers and project managers on the needs of developed or existing system design, safety standards, methods and process.
The development framework
- Agile framework (Scrum methodology)
- C++ codebase (massive)
- Usage of proprietary and commercial tools
- Atlassian tools for task tracking
- Vehicle and bench testing
- Rapid prototyping in Python, Matlab
- Clean and continuous documentation
- Intercontinental collaboration
- Bachelor of Science or higher education in Computer Engineering, ElectricalEngineering or related degree
- 3+ years of academic or professional experience with system engineering
- 1+ years professional experience with system or functional safety (any of the following ISO26262, DO178c, IEC 61508, STAMP, MIL-STD-882)