Job ID: EN_US_1704266
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The Performance Materials Group has an opportunity for a Technical Manager in the Polyol area at our Geismar, LA location.
Technical Manager - Polyol (1704266) – Geismar, LA
This position will provide daily operational tactical leadership for the Geismar Polyol plant and technology leadership for the Geismar LA, Wyandotte, MI, and Malcom, IA facilities. You will be responsible for capital projects, reliability improvements, and required process safety reviews. You will lead complex projects and/or set technical process directions that have long-term strategic impact to support and enable the manufacturing team, and to achieve the overall business goals with respect to manufacturing safely, effectively, and at the lowest cost. The Technical Manager is responsible for leadership and development of employees. You will lead Production Engineers, Technology Engineers, and the Production Specialist in Geismar unit operations and troubleshooting.
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Mentor and coach the Production Support and Technology teams, including oversight of the Project Manufacturing Representatives as they lead and support projects.
- Participate in the coordination of production, maintenance, technology improvements, health and safety, ecology, and quality assurance, and work closely with Daily Operations Team members in a high-performance team environment.
- Ensure continuous improvement processes by identifying, initiating, developing, leading, and implementingprojects to improve plant performance in the five equalities (safety, people, quality, production, and cost) across all Polyol North America (NA) sites.
- Manage the overall execution of Polyol NA Capital Plan for the Geismar, Wyandotte, and Malcom sites.
- Coordinate overall capital plan and execution with the Technology and Project/Capital teams, ensuring resource availability for the successful completion of projects. Provide technical and economic analyses related to capital investments.
- Manage engineering resources in development, tracking, and reporting on all cost reduction efforts in manufacturing plants.
- Support technology benchmarking, both internally and externally as directed. Coordinate NAFTA activities with Group Business/Technology.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or otherengineering discipline required.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a chemical/petrochemical or similar manufacturing environment.
- At least 4years of leadership experience in leading people and/or teams.
- Prior experience as a Project Manager/Engineer or Manufacturing Representative on a project to install and start-up a new technology application.
- Extensive technology expertise for heterogeneous catalyzed chemical reactions, multi-component distillation, or similar technologies.
- Proven supervisory and leadership skills; excellent communications and human relations skills.
- Foster the integration of a diversity of perspectives across the organization, resulting in development of high-performing teams and output.
- Ability to establish an environment that Involves, trusts, and optimizes a diverse, high-performing team, and create a vision that fosters a sense of common ownership.
- Working knowledge and understanding of process controls (DCS and field controllers) and how they can be applied to improve plant performance.