Completion of an approved professional nursing program
APN License Required
Demonstrate good communication skills
Demonstrated integrity and strong work ethic
Aultman North Canton Medical Group
Job Title: Nurse Practitioner
Immediate Supervisor Title: Department Chair and/or Department Manager or Coordinator
Job Supervisory Responsibilities: May share in the supervision of RNs, LPNs, and/or medical assistants, depending on departmental organization
General Summary: An exempt position responsible for providing primary care services, including assessing, diagnosing, prescribing, treating, and educating patients. Works closely with physicians and other clinicians in a team approach to patient care. May specialize in a specific type of clinical care, e.g., pediatrics, geriatrics.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Assesses patient status by obtaining health history through patient/family interviews and chart reviews; assessing presenting illness, risk factors, and family history, psychosocial situation, and cultural factors; and performing appropriate physical examination.
- Orders/performs appropriate laboratory diagnostic and other screening tests. Seeks other information as needed, including consultation with physicians and other clinicians, for evaluation of illness. Integrates data to determine diagnosis and therapeutic plan, including identification of any health risks.
- Develops and implements treatment plan by prescribing/dispensing medications and/or injections in compliance with medical practice guidelines and state laws. Handles minor lacerations. Instructs patient/family regarding medications and treatments. Educates patients regarding health promotion/illness prevention. Recommends appropriate community resources to meet patient/family needs. Communicates appropriate case management information to other professionals and community agencies. Prepares documentation for medical records including updating patient medical chart by posting examination and test results, diagnosis, medications, and treatment in written/computerized manner.
- Participates in peer reviews, chart reviews, staff education, clinical guideline development, and other continuing education and quality assurance activities to demonstrate compliance with standards, regulations, policies, and procedures. Acts as consultant/collaborator to clinical team on area of specialty. Complies with patient confidentiality requirements. Promotes patient advocacy.
- Collaborates with physicians in managing acute and long-term medical needs of patient. Provides monitoring and continuity of care between visits according to treatment plan including triaging patient calls/e-mails.
Education: MSN required. Successful completion of advanced practitioner training and certification as a practitioner (general or specialized) from an approved nurse practitioner program.
Experience: Minimum three years of professional nursing experience in a clinic setting, plus one year of nurse practitioner experience (preferred, but not required).
Other Requirements: Current state registered nurse license. Current state license as an advanced registered nurse practitioner with prescriptive authority. Current CPR certification.
- Knowledge of advanced practice of nursing including anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology and therapeutics, basic nutrition, behavioral factors, psychosocial/family systems, diagnostic testing, interpretation of results and clinical decision making, alternative treatment modalities.
- Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practices and regulations related to evaluating and providing patient care, and professional ethics related to the delivery of nursing care.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments used to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish/maintain a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of health promotion, health risk identification, and patient education principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of community, professional, and educational resources.
- Skill in oral and written communication including interviewing to gather medical histories; providing presentations, consultations, facilitation, and documentation, e.g., writing medical orders, patient education materials, and medical record updates. May require skill in using computerized health information management systems.
- Skill in case management, time management, problem solving, crisis intervention, multitasking, and other organizational matters.
- Skill in modifying methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide appropriate nursing care and in initiating appropriate emergency response and investigatory procedures.