This position works under the direction of the Actuarial Department in the P&C Division, provides timely and accurate pricing or reserving models for the company’s many products and lines, and supports fact-based decision making and implementation of actuarial projects and improvements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Create and maintain pricing and/or reserving models for the lines of business, products, and states where National General currently writes or expands.
- Develop and implement enhancements to existing models to improve prediction accuracy.
- Collaborate with other actuaries and business teams to provide actuarial support and to ensure timely implementation of actuarial projects. Communication with business partners in other functional areas, including product, finance, accounting, claims, IT, and senior management.
- Provide leadership, peer review, supervision, education, and training of staff regarding work product and implementation.
- Develop and maintain positive internal and external customer relationships.
- Oversee that team’s actuarial data used is accurate, balanced, and that reasonability checks have been performed
- Provide support for required filings and follow-up questions from regulators or auditors related to pricing or reserving models.
- Manage assigned special projects for research, experience studies, statistical analyses, or other ad hoc analyses/reports.
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience
- ACAS, FCAS a plus.
- Strong knowledge and experience of actuarial methodologies and principles for pricing and/or reserving
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Math, Statistics, Economics, or other analytics related discipline.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and project management skills
- Demonstrated understanding of relational databases, data extraction, and ability to organize and analyze complex data sets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to present information to management and other functional areas.
- Ability to project results, deal with ambiguity, solve problems, make decisions, see trends/patterns, and identify root causes.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Access, SQL, SAS, or Visual Basic.
POSTING ID: 2167/1046/16323