- Implement strategic engagement with key stakeholders for Major Projects and Operations. Key stakeholders include local government officials, influential business leaders, key landowners, emergency responders and non-government organizations. Where this involves Indigenous people, this engagement is consistent with the principles contained in Enbridge’s Indigenous and Native American Policy.
- Maintain, cultivate and document relationships and engagement activities with key influential leadership within affected communities, local organizations and Indigenous communities. Must have a basic understanding of our business, issues, risks and opportunities associated with respective communities, organizations and Indigenous communities.
- Inform team of stakeholder concerns and critical activities. Accountable for contributing to the development, implementation and modification of regional engagement plans and related budgets.
- Own relationships with key influential leaders and work with internal partners within and outside Public Affairs and Communications (PAC) (i.e. Supply Chain Management) to develop innovative engagement strategies, approaches and tools to maximize efficiencies and minimize risk related to Community and Indigenous Engagement.
- For Indigenous (Tribal) engagement, responsible lead for providing the awareness and guidance to the team and company on Indigenous cultural protocols, norms and politics to ensure the company respectfully engages with Indigenous communities, builds positive relationships, meets regulatory engagement requirements and effectively manage the related risk.
- Assist stakeholder engagement in the field with individuals, communities, Indigenous communities and local governments and organizations in support of business goals and project objectives, working cooperatively with internal functions such as Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), Business Development and Operations.
- Assist with development and implementation of specific engagement plans, strategies, talking points for media spokesperson and related budgets that reflect the interests of both the Company and the potentially-affected stakeholder. Meet regulatory requirements and build, maintain and enhance Enbridge's reputation as a trusted corporate citizen.
- Assist team mates on developing and maintaining effective relationships, engagement strategies, and managing issues and risks.
- Support the development of regulatory strategy and participate in formal regulatory process. Contribute to regional engagement knowledge in support of Corporate Community Investment policies and governance.
- Provide timely advice and counsel to Enbridge management and staff and business teams with respect to Community/Stakeholder Engagement, including cultural awareness, consultation, relationships and partnership opportunities, negotiations, issue management, risk and opportunity assessments. This includes bringing the voice (interests and perspectives) of the communities into Enbridge for appropriate and timely consideration.
- Contribute regional knowledge and policies into Business Development to ensure consideration of local and regional stakeholder risks and opportunities.
- Work with Public Awareness team to identify opportunities to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of delivery of supplemental stakeholder outreach and other activities within the Public Awareness Program.
- Where applicable, consistent with Company guidelines, and in concert with the business units and Company departments such as Law, Operations, Regulatory, EHS and other departments within PAC, assist with the development of Protocol and Engagement Agreements, Letters of Intent and contracts, etc., that support key stakeholder and Indigenous community relationship building and communication, capacity building, and key stakeholder and Indigenous training and education, contracting and hiring that will strategically advance business objectives.
- Where applicable, working with the Sustainable Supply Chain Management team, identify opportunities in conjunction with project teams or Operations regarding Indigenous content on Enbridge's projects or operations. This includes providing insight into community dynamics, capacity and politics, identifying potential local impacts and regional Indigenous participation opportunities and benefits (e.g. educational, skills development, employment, and business opportunity initiatives).
- Provide expertise and consultation to industry trade associations through participation on advisory panels and working groups.
- Plan and manage functional area or project budget(s) and other resources with a view to cost effectiveness and ensuring appropriate controls.
- Establish and maintain well-organized record of contact and in the relationship management database.
- Keep up professional and individual development.
Crisis Communications & Response Team:
May serve as part of the crisis communications & response team (CCRT) during operational incidents or emergencies and non-operational events such as a reputational crisis. If identified as a member of the CCRT, training will be provided.
- Enbridge’s Core competencies
- Enbridge’s Leadership competencies (for leadership positions only)
Knowledge and direct experience in engaging with Indigenous communities, including on Indigenous history and rights, on cultural protocols and norms, on Indigenous politics and the ability to successfully engage with indigenous people.
- Values of integrity, safety and respect
- Character that is reliable, open, considerate, accommodating, agreeable, courageous
- High achievement orientation
- Stress tolerance
- Self confidence
- University degree from a related post-secondary program
- 7or more years of directly related work experience in Indigenous or stakeholder engagement, preferably in the resources sector, particularly in the energy industry / energy transportationinfrastructure sector
- Familiar with Indigenous history and culture
- Familiarity with applicable government and regulatory requirements, as well as present day issues and community dynamics
- Experience in and understanding of a large, public company with operations in multiple regions.
- Specific experience in cross-cultural stakeholder and community engagement
- Knowledge of community development practices and organizational effectiveness strategies
- Ability to interact effectively and establish credibility with a wide audience including Indigenous leaders and community representatives, field and corporate staff, external stakeholder groups, partners and contractors
- Solid written and verbal communication, presentation and organizational abilities
- Persistence, patience, and the ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Sense of urgency, with well-developed prioritization, time management and multi-tasking skills
- A high degree of flexibility to adapt to multiple and competing priorities
- Able to deal with a variety of external and internal disciplines and senior management and manage multiple projects at once, under constant deadline pressure
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Good judgment in determining relevant content for employees
- Strong customer focus with the ability to listen, identify key issues, advise and maintain confidentiality
- Strong analytical skills to quickly analyze complex situations, determine key issues and messages, and implement the programs
- Strong research skills in subject matter field
- Excellent attention to detail
Social Process (People) Skills:
- Team-oriented attitude and the ability to work independently.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, internal and external.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including consultation, negotiation, facilitation, risk communication and conflict resolution.
- Passionate about and experienced in building employee engagement and organizational alignment through effective internal communications.
- Salary and job level will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Share our core values of Integrity, Safety and Respect.