The Category Manager is responsible for the implementation and on-going management of specific product categories to support the corporate-wide category management strategy. Partners with internal and external customers to implement the processes necessary to support product categorization, profitability improvement and revenue growth.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Accountable for the overall growth and profitability of their assigned categories - this includes determining the appropriate mix of private label and branded product for each category and recommending product portfolio strategies to the leadership team.
2. Communicates and implements the corporate-wide category management strategy. Develops programs to improve profitability and build a competitive offering for the Integrated Delivery Networks in the Health Care Provider space. Collaborates with Marketing, Sourcing, Strategic Supplier Programs, Diversity, Pricing, Sales and Operations for effective implementations.
3. Analyze data and use negotiation skills to recommend modifications to portfolio, product programs and best value business partners for categories.
4. Advises the Supply Management leadership team on strategies and tactics for resolving supplier compliance issues and coordinates with in-house Risk Management and Legal as needed.
5. Works in collaboration with the Inventory Performance Management team to manage SKU details and supplier rationalization programs.
6. Identifies process improvements to increase system efficiencies
7. Assists and prepares presentations to be delivered to senior management, and field teammates on category initiatives.
8. Monitors Category and Program performance. Provides monthly status updates to senior management.
SUPPLEMENTAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Performs additional duties as directed.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Four year college or university degree in Finance, Economics, Engineering, Business, Marketing, Healthcare Management or Nursing (w/ Business background); MBA preferred.
2. Eight plus years business experience required; healthcare industry a plus
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. Demonstrated understanding of the interaction between distributor, hospital, clinician and Group Purchasing Organization.
2. Strategic Planning - Ability to consider strategic goals and positioning as specific categories are managed.
3. Financial - Ability to understand financial concepts to maximize portfolio profitability and opportunities.
4. Ability to manage toward effective execution of category plans.
5. Ability to deal with conflict and establish teamwork between staff and stakeholders
6. Ability to analyze, make conclusions and recommendations for impact.
7. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
8. Effective persuasion and negotiation skills.
9. Microsoft Office - Intermediate skill level on Excel, Word and Power Point