The Network Support Engineer (NSE) provides remote enterprise assistance on F5 solutions to internal and external customers and F5 partners, with seasoned and experienced engineers taking on greater responsibilities in this capacity. Network Support Engineers handle multiple active cases of moderate to diverse scope, depending on level of experience, where analysis of customer network environments and customer-specific data requires a review of a number of factors to arrive at a conclusion which can work around or resolve the customer’s problem or otherwise restore functionality. NSEs aim to keep customers satisfied.
They exercise solid judgment within an ISO-certified Quality Management System set of defined procedures in order to select the best methods amongst several possible methods and techniques to build a plan of action and take appropriate next steps. More experienced Network Support Engineers receive little day-to-day instruction on their work and are provided general instructions on new projects or assignments. Less experienced Network Support Engineers will still exercise judgment within an ISO-certified Quality Management System set of defined procedures in order to build a plan of action and take next steps, however will work with supervision from more experienced NSEs.
Work hours are scheduled shifts corresponding to forecasted customer activity. NSEs are generally proficient to proficient with a number of troubleshooting tools and equipment in the course of providing resolutions to cases. They network with senior internal and external personnel and build productive to strong working relationships internally, to their peers, Escalation Engineers, and Managers, or related F5 departments and externally, to customers and partners. NSEs provide communication to our customers, by phone, email and/or WebEx, and accept ownership of issues until a resolution is delivered, providing high customer satisfaction.
- Exercises judgment required to provide a moderate level (Level 1 and Level 2) to diverse scope (Level 1 to Level 3) technical support to troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software issues on F5 product and services, based on data analysis of a variety of customer specific factors which may be complex in nature for more experience engineers.
- Proactively and effectively communicates status, plan-of-action, and resolution of issues based on an ISO Quality Management System-defined set of procedures.
- Provides F5 customers and partners with a consistently high-quality support experience
- Participates in on-going training with F5 products and related technologies
- Maintains high schedule adherence (work hours and on-phone time)
- Effectively manages case escalations to tier 3 (Engineering Services) while maintaining customer communication, with assistance/mentoring from senior support personnel or management (limited assistance in the instance of more experienced engineers)
- Manages multiple routine to complex cases, depending on level of experience, and prioritizes based upon customer and business needs
- Performs additional projects as required
- Responsible for upholding F5’s Business Code of Ethics and promptly reporting violations of the code or other company policies.
- Required Zero to 2 years’ experience (PREFERRED 3-5 years’ experience) in a professional technical support role or equivalent experience, working with relevant technologies.
- Associate Degree in a related field or equivalent work experience in a related field.
- PREFERRED Bachelor's Degree in a related field or equivalent work experience in a related field.
- Certification to 101 level certification is expected to be achieved at NSE level in their core module area of expertise. Certification to 201 level certification is expected to be achieved at NSE II level in their core module area of expertise. Level 301 certification is preferred but not expected.
- No visa sponsorship's
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Hands-on technical experience with internetworking/data center operations including LAN/WAN operations.
- Hands-on technical experience preferred with internetworking/data center operations including WAN operations (e.g. DNS, Open SSL, Cryptography, virtualization, etc), Network Protocols, TCP/IP, OSI Model, UNIX or Linux (e.g. Redhat) operating systems, VMware or equivalent hypervisors and network hardware preferred. Potential for exposure to Network Security (e.g. Web Application Security, AAA, VPN, DDoS, Malware, Application Firewalls, etc)
- Exposure to UNIX. Some experience with Linux, preferably Red Hat. Some exposure to VMWare or equivalent hypervisors preferred.
- Knowledgeable in TCP/IP protocols and the OSI model
- Proficient with Windows OS
- Able to work under general instruction on routine work.
- Evidence of building strong internal/external relationships; within a team environment preferred.
- Experience with a main Customer Relationship Management system. Siebel experience preferred.
- Analytical thinker with strong attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills together with experience supporting corporate customers and service providers in production environments preferred.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently, including technical concepts and terminology. Multiple language skills a plus.
- Should be able to effectively relay technical information to customers of varying skill levels
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Working in an environment where work hours are scheduled shifts corresponding to forecasted customers activity. This role may be required to work outside of core business hours, including early morning, late evening, overnight, weekends, and/or holidays as needed.
- Occasional travel may be required (5% of work time)