Orica is the world’s largest provider of commercial explosives and innovative blasting systems to the mining, quarrying, oil and gas and construction markets, a leading supplier of sodium cyanide for gold extraction, and a specialist provider of ground support services in mining and tunneling.
Orica has a diverse workforce of around 11,500 employees and contractors, servicing customers across more than 100 countries. Our purpose is to make our customers successful, every day, all around the world. We take pride in operating safely, responsibly and sustainably. Together, these enable us to grow and create enduring value for our shareholders.
The main responsibilities of the Senior Chemist will be to conduct research for new and improved explosives products for the Research & Innovation Team. This individual will plan, carry out, and document complex research projects to accomplish these tasks.
• Conduct tests and analyse substances to determine their composition, concentrations and physical properties
• Prepare solutions, compounds, and reagents used in laboratory procedures
• Write technical reports that detail the methods and findings
• Contribute to ongoing product support after design release through product validation testing
• Perform other duties as required and directed by the Research Manager including research into novel products
Experience and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in a related Science field such as Chemistry
• 5+ years of related work experience
• Ability to take ownership of assigned tasks in a timely manner, and learn new principle ideas, and concepts
• Must be proactive with the ability to work on multiple tasks independently
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Colorado Explosives Permit
• Experience with Product Development and Manufacturing of explosives products (initiation systems and bulk products), including coordination and project management of sub-contractors
• Experience with different types of explosive compounds used in the mining industry and their chemical processing.
What we offer
• The opportunities, facilities and environment associated with working in an international organization;
• Career paths that are totally flexible allowing you to specialize or become a generalist;
• A diverse workplace where your unique abilities and talents will be recognized and encouraged;
• Training programs, opportunities and initiatives to ensure your continued growth;
• Competitive salary packages.