Vice President - Performance Engineering
• Do you have significant experience as a change agent to drive performance engineering culture?
• Are you an experienced leader who is passionate about innovative technology – specifically performance engineering tools, performance profiling, web/mobile and database performance real-time monitoring?
• Are you familiar with performance design principles and capacity modeling for Cloud native applications?
• Have you presented performance engineering success and stories with demos, presentations, and prototypes in prominent industry conferences?
• Can you scale your communication to articulate application performance metrics and issues starting from engineers to program managers to CxOs?
• Participate in cloud native platform and service design reviews ensuring performance practices are baked in software development and deployment life cycle.
• Ensure adoption of best quality and peformance practices for cloud native applications with principles of 12 factor applications adhered to from the start.
• Mentor staff specifically Software Engineers in Test (SET/SDETs) and Performance Engineers to instrument automated performance checks in software development and delivery pipeline (CI/CD).
• Provide technical recommendations for a holistic performance strategy covering environment, techniques, key SLA metrics; platform hardware analysis; scalability architecture for better performance; and performance profiling/troubleshooting techniques.
• Manage and mentor a strong team of Directors, Consultants and Engineers on test data and performance environment needs, and develop schedules for ongoing performance testing activities.
• Ensure that staff has skills and behaviors to perform tasks fully through effective communication of goals, objectives, performance and as necessary improvement plans.
• Recommend annual budgetary needs for staff, tools, and infrastructure, and ensure appropriate expenditures within that approved budget.
• Partner with operations, product, and development teams to develop real-time performance dashboards and provide daily transparency of production application performance to stakeholders.
• Develop and oversee performance strategies and approaches including creating performance metrics and ensuring all applications are performing to the agreed upon SLAs.
• Define and implement best practices for end-to-end application performance management solutions including Proof of Concepts and Tools evaluation and selection – specifically in the area of emerging technologies (Web, Mobile, Text based reports, Big-data).
• Represent MasterCard Operations and Technology in technology seminars and other events discussing Performance Strategy and sharing success stories.
All About You
• Bachelor/Master’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience with exposure to management theories and concepts.
• Experience preparing and delivering executive level presentations to business and technology audiences.
• Experience mentoring and developing resources in a high performance culture.
• Demonstrated success in leading a small to large-scale software development, testing, architecture, and performance across multiple groups.
• Performance and scalability strategies for traditional mainframe based systems, distributed systems, and cloud native applications.
• Prior experience with adoption of performance testing tools such as LoadRunner, Gataling, Webpagetest, and JMeter, etc.; performance monitoring tools such as Dynatrace and Splunk; and analytics tools such as Google Analytics and Adobe Omniture.
• Prior experience with Cross browser and Mobile end-user performance/experience monitoring, and performance testing and tuning with device clouds.
• Web Application and Web Services performance architecture, scripting, and testing experience and knowledge.
• Ability to monitor and tune Java virtual machine and app servers; articulate JVM GC process and its logs; ability to collect performance metrics from *nix and Windows.
• Complete understanding of the technology required for cloud computing, IAAS, PAAS and SAAS modules – experience with Pivotal desirable
• Experience in DevOps in a large enterprise environment and ability to take lead role in the design and analysis for performance and capacity bottlenecks for both traditional and cloud ready applications.
• Performance tuning experience with RDBMS (Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, etc).
• Application development experiences preferably in Java. Exposure to Test Driven and Behavior Driven Development (TDD and BDD) desirable.
• Experience in Infrastructure-as-a-code concept and tools such as Chef/Puppet desirable
• Experience in application design and skills for migrating applications to the cloud
• Ability to build relationships between the customers and the team members
• Knowledge of a multitude of programming languages including Python, PHP, Java, Node and Ruby on Rails
• Knowledge of secure software delivery practices, e.g. code scanning, vulnerability assessment, and penetration testing