Req #: 7204
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position:
Measurements Engineer in the Corning Environmental Technologies (CET) Division Engineering Measurements & Controls group. Serve as a measurements resource for division process improvement and capital expansion projects. Division-level contact for manufacturing support of installed systems. Project focus will be implementation of vision based automation in Corning's manufacturing plants and processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Assigned to engineering project teams that deliver automation and process machine systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes.
- Support troubleshooting, updating and enhancing existing plant measurement systems.
- Provide support and implement custom C# programs that interact with motion control systems, image processing systems, and robotics.
- Participate in the development of software architectures, software functional specifications, and system integration requirements that will satisfy process and manufacturing requirements.
- Understand and implement both hardware and software components for measurements and controls systems.
- Interface with external system integrators and machine builders to successfully deliver fully integrated process equipment systems to Corning’s plants on-time, on-budget, and that satisfy performance requirements.
- Actively participate in all phases of the project including design, fabrication, off-line integration and testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel and technology transfer.
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis to leadership and the larger team. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements as well as applicable national and international equipment design standards.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments in a team based environment.
Projects involved with: Member of cross-functional project teams responsible for concept generation / certification, technology development, detail design / build, and start-up of automation and process machine systems in manufacturing
Travel Requirements: Will fluctuate up to 50% domestic and/or international travel
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Computer, Electrical or Optical Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics and a minimum of one year of experience (can include co-ops and internships)
- Familiarity in C# or structured text programming.
- Knowledge of databases.
- Knowledge of electrical, controls, and optics instrumentation (e.g. sensors, lasers) and vision systems technologies.
- Background in computer programs like Halcon, Matrox Vision Library, MatLab, Labview, WiT, etc.
- Base understanding of statistical analysis such as histograms, regression, standard deviation, gauge R&R, etc.
- Experience with imaging/machine vision (2D and 3D systems).
- Course work or experience with using tools such as AutoCad, Matlab, Simulink etc.
- Works well with other disciplines (process, mechanical engineering)
- Controls/Electrical Experience in Manufacturing
- Basic project management skills (e.g. scoping, budgeting, timelines etc.)
- Some experience in a manufacturing environment
- Some exposure to high powered laser systems
- Some knowledge of equipment engineering, process support and debug
- Experience with precision optical systems
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
- Technical curiosity
- Leadership and independent thinking
- Strong organizational skills