This position description is subject to change at any time as needed to meet the requirements of the program or company.
This position is required for supporting the various systems located at the Unified Atlantic Region Network Operations Center (UARNOC) at Naval Computer and Telecommunications Station (NCTS) Hampton Roads, Norfolk VA. Provides support as senior technical advisor to government and othercontract personnel at NCTS Hampton Roads related to Fleet networking operations in the Atlantic Fleet and Med AORs. Support also includes administration and maintenance of systems, use and development of standard operating procedures, lead and coordination of troubleshooting efforts to resolve issues on supported units across multiple circuits and systems and facilities. Candidate will provide leadership and training to on-site personnel and lead/assist personnel aboard fleet units in resolving ship-to-shore networking issues.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES: Please list by order of priority and, if possible, provide the percentage of time spent on the activity all should equal 100%.
- 1. Candidate will be responsible for supporting the Unified Atlantic Region Network Operations Center (UARNOC), serving as technical advisor to government and othercontractor personnel. Conducts on site troubleshooting and maintenance assistance for problems that cross multiple systems, provides training on new systems, and works processes that cross multiple systems. Provides leadership to other NOC and FSET engineers at UARNOC.
- 2. Coordinate repair of installed C4I systems and other advisory and systems engineering services
- 3. Support shore based facilities to ensure those facilities are fully operational to meet the requirements of fleet units/ships assigned permanently or temporarily to the AOR. Support fleet units/ships as required to ensure connectivity to naval networks. Provide support for NOC restoral procedures, rapid response for emergent issues and network documentation and training as required for Fleet NOC personnel.
- 4. Provide on-site engineering and technical support for the integration of IT hardware and software upgrades
- 5. Provide support for maintenance of the system architecture configuration and systematic baseline to meet the site program objectives; on-site support shall provide activity based technical and engineering support for process configuration;
- 6. Provide recommendations for alternative courses of action to more effectively accomplish the integration of upgrades and modifications;
- 7. Provide recommendations for improvement or alternative networking strategies;
- 8. Assist in conducting preliminary network testing after integration and configuration of site upgrades and modifications;
- 9. Support Information Assurance, to include adherence to IA policies, operations of IA related systems (HBSS, IDS, antivirus, firewalls, load balancers, etc.).
- 10. Provide support for restoral procedures; rapid response for emergent issues, and network documentation.
- 11. Interacting with multiple customer organizations will be required.
- 12. Less than 5% travel may be required.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Navy C2 Systems and government networks.
Candidate will work on-site at NCTS Hampton Roads, VA in a computer room environment. In order to provide required service for operations, work at times other than normal work week hours may be required. Personnel are assigned in watch rotation for after-hours on-call support.
No special requirements.
Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
BS in Information Technology (or equivalent technical degree) or 12+ years technical experience in Navy C4I and NOC related disciplines required. Certification as IAT2 (per DoD Inst 8750.1 and Navy guidance) with IA and CE (Unix/Linux, CISCO or Windows) required, and current certification must be obtained within 90 days of employment. 5+ years of experience in Network Applications required. Certification in multiple operating systems highly desired
Experience with Cisco routers, switches and ASA devices required. Must be experienced with ACLs, IAVAs and patching, crypto devices and multiple variants of ADNS; with operational experience highly desired. Familiarity with virtualization and VMWare required; experience highly desired. Total 8+ years C4I networking required, with recent experience with DoD Information Assurance/CND systems and policies such as HBSS/ACAS required. Ability to work with a team to resolve complex problems across multiple systems required. Experience in information assurance operations also required, including use of Retina/ACAS scanning tools and application STIGs. Experience with Remedy/ITSM highly desired. Excellent written and verbal communications skills required.
Knowledge of networking, fleet communications systems and architectures required. Must be able to communicate well both orally and in writing. Must be able to communicate well with senior Navy officials and technical personnel. Must be able to provide training to Navy personnel.