Staff Accountant – Governmental Accounting Practice
From day one, experience our difference. Go beyond the numbers, do something different by developing rapport with clients and making a difference. Whether you intend to specialize or would rather gain exposure across many service lines, you won’t be limited at Plante Moran. We’ll encourage you to explore diverse opportunities to find your focus and thrive in your chosen career.
Your work will include, but not be limited to:
- Providing financialstaffing and related consulting support to municipalities
- Assisting our municipal clients with their accounting and finance functions including bank reconciliations, budget development, financial close reporting and preparation for annual audit, and related support
- Drafting financialreports, including periodic budget to actual schedules and annual financial statements with related disclosures
- Verifies, allocates, and posts details of municipality transactions to subsidiary accounts in journals or computer files from documents, such as bank statements, invoices, receipts, check stubs, and computer printouts
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting municipal transactions
- Working independently or in teams to improve client accounting operations including drafting policies and procedures
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and equity, and prepares balance sheet, statement of revenues and expenditures, and otherreports to summarize current and projected financial position
- Collaborating with other consultants and clients for continuous improvement recommendations
- Supervision and training of junior staff members
- Training and development opportunities for professional, personal and technical growth
- At least 5+ years’ experience creating and using financialreports in a professional service firm (public accounting), government or school district
- Technology skills including proficiency with various financial accounting systems and Excel
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license are required including a clean driving record; Minimum levels of auto insurance coverage are required
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Management, Finance, or related field is required
- CPA or Master’s degree in accounting, business, or other similar field preferred but not required
- 2+ years of management experience
- Qualified individuals must either reside in or near the Metro Detroit area or be willing to relocate to the area for this opportunity. This position requires up to 90% local and/or regional travel to client sites.
- Ability for limited overnight travelpreferred but not required
We are a nationally recognized public accounting, consulting, and wealth management firm, consistently ranked as one of FORTUNE magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For.” At Plante Moran, we live by the Golden Rule, fostering a relatively “jerk-free” culture with the lowest staff turnover rate in the industry. Our supportive network of well-rounded professionals is excited to catapult your growth and help pave your pathway to professional excellence.
Apply now. Experience our difference.
This is an non-exempt position, so you may have to work hours that exceed the standard 40-hour work week.
Plante Moran is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workplace.
Interested applicants must submit their resume for consideration using our applicant tracking system. Due to the high volume of applications received, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship, with the exception of candidates that are bilingual in Japanese and English. Unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, or similar, will not be paid a fee and become the property of Plante Moran.