Responsible for managing a professional software engineering department developing product for a core, high growth Rockwell Automation product line. This is an industry leading product that has won numerous awards for innovation and usability. The position is located in a beautiful facility with a full fitness center, cafeteria and outdoor, wooded walking paths.
This Position is for a technology and team leader to evolve software products and managing a team of 10 to 15 software engineers, working as part of a global product development team; management oversight of software development projects from requirements through delivery; continual advancement of our software engineering capability. Integral to these functions is the responsibility for developing a high performing software engineering team that is steeped in Lean/Agile principles and is focused on delivering quality product.
EOE, M/F/Disable, Vet
BS Electrical Eng., BS Computer Eng., or BS Computer Science required. MS in Engineering desirable.
Required Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 7 years experience in software product development, with a minimum of 3 years technical lead experience. Experience should be in software engineering or related technical areas. Experience should include significant background with large scale system development projects.
- Deep experience across the software development life cycle, particularly an understanding of the importance of customer intimacy, requirements work and software usability.
- Proven change agent and ability to nurture self-managed, self-organized team structures.
- Ability to understand the technical work and the functionality of the product – sufficient to evaluate staff performance and represent the functionality of the product in various settings.
- Proven decision making skills that enable getting things done and shipping products.
- Strong leadership experience in Agile and Lean development practices as it relates to software engineering.
- Critical thinking regarding relative investment in near term product development and long term, strategic development.
- Ability to manage in a matrixed team environment, with a willingness to collaborate, share best practices and workload, and present one front to the development team.
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visa now, or in the future for this job opening.
- High standards for personnel. Hire the best, deal with performance issues.
Desired experience and skills
- Direct SW engineering management experience.
- Direct experience with the Industrial Automation industry.
- A bend toward technology, particularly with respect to next generation software technology.
- Ability to make decisions and filter to keep developers focused during dynamic times.
- Knowledge and experience with alternative software development best practices.