The Project Engineering Manager works within the DSM Expert Center / Large Capital Projects group and operates worldwide within the organization of the project owner, involved Business Group/Unit, using their (local) infrastructure and systems. The position deals with the specific dynamics of this Business Group, the requirements of DSM Corporate and the various cultures of all engaged parties (including external contractors and consultants). The Project Engineering Manager acts worldwide and, depending on project size and timing, handles multiple projects, up to $80M, of various complexities at different Business Groups and locations simultaneously. The position works with a high level of autonomy, interfaces directly with Business Group Management and mentors junior Engineers.
Acting on behalf of different Business Groups, the Project Engineering Manager requires a basic understanding of their Market, Technology and Organizational Characteristics to effectively execute the work. The Project Engineering Manager leads integrated project teams with members of different background ranging from local DSM employees in the owner organization to DSM specialists in other departments and external contractors (up to 250 indirect team members). The position also performs, within the boundaries of the Large Capital work process, the role of Project Engineering Manager or within the boundaries of the Small Capital work process, the role of Small Project Manager.
This positon will require up to 75% travel.
In this position, you will:
- Identify all relevant SHE (Safety, Health and Environmental) and security aspects and assesses the corresponding risks related to his/her project and makes sure these are known, understood and can be handled by his/her project team members. Demonstrate SHE leadership by setting standards and encouraging project team members to act (SHE) responsible for their well-being; organizing involvement in SHE and security matters; and following up on any incidents.
- Define and execute feasibility studies and prepare conceptual designs which provide input for the decision-making process of the project owner to take the project to the next phase.
- Compose a process design in cooperation with the owner, their technology group and other stakeholders to provide the scope for an investment estimate
- Create an estimate and/or economic evaluation of the project to provide the financial impact.
- Draft a project (execution) plan which provides a project scope, budget and timeline for the next phase.
- Manage the project interfaces with all parties involved including internal and external communication and transfer of relevant project data according to a communication plan
- Guide and control the activities of the (external) engineering teams selected to provide the Basic Design, Detailed Engineering and/or Construction of the approved (sub)-projects.
- Ensure these projects meet the requirements (e.g. regarding operability and maintainability), fit into existing or new to be developed installations / equipment and are executed on time.
- Prepare and handover projects to comply with agreed requirements
- Assist in commissioning, validation and start-up to support the start-up team and its manager Operations Management to effectively start-up the plant.
What we want to see in you:
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline required
- Extensive knowledge of project management methods and contracting strategies in a technical environment required
- Minimum 7 years of proven experience in executing technical projects of various complexity and capital investment levels required
- Minimum 3 years in a Life Sciences or Materials environment preferred
- Knowledge of fermentation processes required
- Strong working knowledge of chemicalengineering processes required
- PMP Silver certification a plus
- Experienced in working for different Business Groups with different technologies simultaneously.
- Extensive knowledge of investment estimating methods
- Basic knowledge of construction techniques and practices
- Basic knowledge of technical disciplines
- Good knowledge of project control systems (budget, time)
- Good knowledge of team dynamics and -motivators
- Basic knowledge of relevant production processes (food, (fine) chemical and/or pharmaceutical)
- Good knowledge of financial and administrative systems (i.e. SAP)
- Basic knowledge of Business Finance
- Good knowledge of English both in speech and writing
Working for DSM means the opportunity to really contribute to improve people’s lives and solving the challenges of today’s world. Challenging jobs, career opportunities and an inspiring environment allow you to enhance your personal development. DSM recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team competencies and performance.
Requisition ID 15181