IT Service Desk Manager
The manager of the IHA IT Service Desk is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Information Technology support services functions (Service Desk). In addition to supervising direct reports, this role assist with the development and enforcement of IT standards and security compliance for all devices and users. This role is responsible for directing the technical support activities within the organization, working with cross-functional teams as needed. A problem solving attitude with an ability to motivate the team to achieve specific goals are essential to perform well in this area. You should be able to ensure high quality technical support and maintain a high level of client satisfaction across the organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages the team of resources who support the service desk for end user support and satisfaction. Recruits, develops, and retains the appropriate skilled resources. Creates an environment that motivates and engages staff. Focuses on training needs. Sets goals and objectives for direct management reports.
- Provides oversight, tactical/strategic planning and technical support for the Service Desk team and end-user community.
- Daily supervision of the Service Desk staff and processes, including prioritization, scheduling, and escalations.
- Assists with the development and maintains the Service Level Agreement (SLA) with reporting of metrics to ensure quality and service guidelines are being met across the organization, including on-call or after hours support.
- Responsible for ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction for IS support across the organization.
- Vendor management, including maintaining vendor relationships, contract and agreements, cost containment and billing.
- Develops standards, processes, procedures and documentation to support the technical infrastructure.
- Contributes to all of the information systems technical infrastructure of the practice including data center operations, the physical and virtual server environment, the SAN environments, the wide area network, the local area network, and the VOIP telephony infrastructure, with the priority focus of desktop and end user devices.
- Explores new technologies for future planning and potential implementation.
- Works closely with team to develop and implement performance goals and objectives.
- Attends and communicates issues effectively at internal and external meetings.
- Provides innovative and proactive management, including recruitment, retention and development of high quality staff.
- Leads migration to new technologies, evaluate processing performance related to machine utilization and reliability, and forecast financial impact of IT needs.
- Develops realistic project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget. Manages project team activities.
- Assists in developing capital and operating budgets for the Service Desk area. Manages to those budgets.
- Identifies, establishes and supports IHA initiatives and strategies to advance technology.
- Serves as internal consultant on technology. Maintains expertise and implements new ideas and approaches to achieve an improved experience for our providers and staff.
- Under the direction and with support from the Associate Director of IT/IS, establishes service priorities, standards and procedures.
- Assists in the development, education and enforcement of information systems policies.
- Assists in oversight of planning and implementation of all business information systems, such as practice operations, customer operations, and internal systems.
- Identifies user needs and ensures services expectations are exceeded across all levels of the organization.
- Contributes to ensuring the practice has a secure information systems environment and is in compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Completes special projects and other duties as needed.
- 1. Creates a positive, professional, service-oriented work environment by supporting the IHA CARES mission and core values statement.
- 2. Must be able to work effectively as a member of the IT team.
- 3. Successfully completes IHA's "The Customer" training and adheres to IHA's standard of promptly providing a high level of service and respect to internal or external customers.
- 4. Maintains knowledge of and complies with IHA standards, policies and procedures, including IHA's Employee Handbook.
- 5. Maintains knowledge of department services and in the use of all relevant office equipment, computer, and manual systems.
- 6. Maintains strict confidentiality in compliance with IHA guidelines.
- 7. Serves as a role model, by demonstrating exceptional ability and willingness to take on new and additional responsibilities. Embraces new ideas and respects cultural differences.
- 8. Uses resources efficiently.
- 9. If applicable, responsible for ongoing professional development – maintains appropriate licensure/certification and continuing education credentials, participates in available learning opportunities.
Performance that meets or exceeds IHA CARES Values expectation as outlined in IHA Performance Review document, relative to position.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent; or six to eight years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Prior work at a leadership level within IS or other relevant leadership experience, with three to five years' experience supervising or leading an IT functional area.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (ABILITIES & SKILLS):
- 1. Ability to effectively manage a team of support technicians, analysts, and leads, with solid understanding of applications used; maintains current knowledge of IHA applications and systems.
- 2. Maintains an in-depth understanding of the EMR functionality, practice management systems and clinical process flow throughout the organization.
- 3. Proficient in operating a standard desktop and Windows-based computer system, including but not limited to, email, e-learning, intranet, Microsoft Word and Excel, Microsoft Exchange and computer navigation. Knowledge of software: Practice Management, EMR, Database, and Design. Ability to use other software as required while performing the essential functions of the job.
- 4. Knowledge of server software and network management.
- 5. Knowledge of LAN and WAN technologies.
- 6. Ability to recommend technology solutions for problems facing the organization.
- 7. Ability to integrate systems, implement products, communicate issues and troubleshoot systems.
- 8. Skilled in planning and organizing.
- 9. Ability to analyze and interpret financial and other performance data.
- 10. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Understands organization's strengths and weaknesses. Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- 11. Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal forms, including ability to develop clear user instructions and/or communicate changes/upgrades to applications. Ability to speak before groups of people. Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations. Presents technical data and information effectively.
- 12. Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment; courteous and friendly demeanor.
- 13. Ability to work effectively with various levels of organizational members and diverse populations including IHA staff, providers, vendors, external customers and others as necessary.
- 14. Ability to cross-train in other areas of the department in order to achieve smooth flow of all operations.
- 15. Good organizational and time management skills to effectively juggle multiple priorities and time constraints. Balances team and individual responsibilities. Plans for additional resources. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- 16. Exhibits confidence in self and others. Inspires and motivates others to perform well. Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- 17. Ability to exercise sound, accurate judgment and timely problem-solving skills, specifically as it relates to recommending alternative solutions and resolving issues. Understands business implications of decisions; aligns work with strategic goals. Includes appropriate people in decision-making process. Works well in group problem-solving situations.
- 18. Ability to handle department and organizational information in a confidential manner.
- 19. Ability to travel to other office/practice sites and meeting and training locations.
- 20. Successful completion of IHA competency-based program within introductory and training period.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL EXPECTATIONS:
- 1. Physical activity that often requires keyboarding and phone work.
- 2. Physical activity that often requires extensive time working on a computer and sitting.
- 3. Physical activity that sometimes requires walking, standing, bending, stooping, reaching, climbing, kneeling and/or twisting.
- 4. Physical activity that sometimes requires lifting, pushing and/or pulling over 20 lbs.
- 5. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust and focus.
- 6. Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
- 7. Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the telephone or face to face for long periods of time in English.