Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated management or leadership experience
- Extensive civil trialexperience.
- Extensive experience dealing with issues related to property and casualty insurance contracts, law and regulations.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
- Admission to the State Bar in a state in which the company operates.
- Juris Doctor
Additional Job Information:
- Candidates selected for an interview with the hiring manager will be asked to complete a leadership skills assessment.
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate in contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
- Relocation assistance is available
Corporate Litigation 25%
- Sourcing Department resources, selects, negotiates, and contracts with outside counsel and other vendors for litigation related services.
- Is personally accountable and/or oversees staff's supervision of outside counsel to verify that the representation of the insured and/or the company is of a scope and quality appropriate to the nature of each case and that representation of the insured and/or the company is conducted in accordance with applicable rules of professional conduct for attorneys.
- Decides whether cases will be tried, settled, or otherwise resolved and grants settlement authority as appropriate.
- Participates in developing the legal strategy of corporate litigation handled by outside counsel.
- Analyzes litigation risk to the company.
Legal Consulting 25%
- Communicates timely status and risk evaluation of corporate litigation to officers and executive leadership.
- Conducts or participates file evaluation committees.
- Evaluates files and grants settlement and appeal authority to outside counsel.
- Formulates legal opinions as needed on any subject relevant to company or department functions.
- Consults with and advises the Litigation Vice President, Corporate Legal staff, Compliance/Government Affairs, and other business partners on matters of corporate concern.
- Provides legal advice and consultation to company, regional and local claims management and Strategic Business Units to assist them in carrying out their functions to minimize legal risk to the company.
- Monitor claims and non-claims litigation trends and serves as a strategic partner to the Claims Legal Regional Associate General Counsel
- Supervises corporate discovery unit and its staff
- Develops and assures adherence to processes and procedures of the corporate discovery unit.
- Influences and directs corporate discovery strategies.
- Reviews training of appropriate staff counsel for corporate discovery strategies and ideas.
- In accordance with company policies manages direct reports, systems, and projects to achieve operational goals.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Creates an effective work environment by setting a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing and rewarding outstanding performance and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance reviews, and establishing development plans and provides training for direct reports.
- Implements corporate operational philosophies, policies, procedures and standards for staff counsel operations at the local level, and reviews files and other work of direct reports for quality and adherence to company philosophies, policies, and procedures.
- Utilizes protocols for measuring, documenting and tracking departmental efficiency. Oversees implementation of protocols for measuring, documenting and tracking such things as workloads, file turnover costs and loss payments.
Divisional Promotion 5%
- Participates in local, state and/or national professional or bar organizations relevant to departmental activities.
- Participates in insurance industry organizations relevant to departmental activities.
- Represents and promotes the division internally and externally.
Strategies linked to the Division’s Business Goal/Results 10%
- Establishes, communicates and implements departmental mission and strategies. This is accomplished by the development of an operational plan.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family's business environments, corporate culture and structure to support key decision making.
- Participates as a member of the management team.