The Manager works with multiple stakeholders, including our Executive Committee, to ensure that the events are strategically planned and executed flawlessly; and communicated in a clear and effective manner to our global 1,600 associate base (and /or external target audience) leveraging our multi-channel communication vehicles to ensure engagement & participation.
In addition, they are the lead point-of-contact with over 50 external vendors such as convention services, caterers, production, AV, creative and they have accountability for the sourcing, negotiation and management of external event management companies. This role has accountability of a $1.5+ million budget and delivery of event metrics.
Strong writing and verbal communications, creative concept development, project management and multi-tasking are key to this role. Metrics and budget management are required.
Due to its high level of exposure across the organization and at senior levels, a high degree of maturity and professionalism is required, as well as effective communication skills, written and verbal (including writing in the voice/tone of EC) and extensive event management experience. Additionally, strong project management skills, ability to multi-task, and budget management experience are required for this role.
Key responsibilities include:
- Event Management – Leads the events team to manage large, complex events from strategy, concept, planning, content development and execution including; coordinating & documenting client briefs, developing/contributing to event plans & critical paths, content development (themes/deck/videos/collateral material), and managing logistics, including venue research, site checks, webcasts, regional engagement, volunteer management, execution to post event measurement/evaluation.
- Team Management - manages team of 2 reports, and provides oversight and direction for multiple indirect reports, multi-department cross-functional project teams and external vendors including: 2-3 event agencies, -50+ event volunteers across large events, -50+ external vendors (convention services, production, A/V, photographers, videographers, union staff, caterers, stylists, venue POC, décor companies, entertainment, product sourcing etc.)
- Budget Management and Invoicing – Oversee/manage contract negotiations with suppliers and continuously improving our record of delivering cost-savings without compromising quality. Manage annual event budget and individual event budgets, and monthly reconciling process with Finance.
- Creative Agency Management – Leads development of creative briefs and creative elements related to events (theme, event activation, invites, menu, signage, etc.)
- Internal Stakeholder Management - Working with the CEO and senior leaders to turn corporate strategy and messaging into high quality internal and external event experiences. Close collaboration is required with other key internal stakeholders as well as the CMC team across Communications, Digital and Account Services to ensure deliverables are met, executive approvals received etc.
- Internal Communications – Developing content for events including agendas, deck slides, video content, and working with the internal communications to support their communications deliverables during slow event periods
- Experience with conference trade show logistics is valuable
- Develop event/activation briefs, executive summaries, status reports, post-mortem analysis, and presentations with a focus on event measurement and analysis
- A university degree in a communications/events-related discipline
- 6-8 years of progressively senior experience in event management, including team management
- Has at least 5 years of experience managing intimate as well as large, complex event formats, with full ownership responsibilities including planning, budget and execution
- Must be strong project manager with experience developing/managing critical paths and organizing complex multi-dimensional events for 100-1500 individuals
- Experience writing proposals, agendas, EC speaking notes, and promotional materials, and communicating in the voice/tone of the EC, including executive presentation coaching
- Ability to manage multiple complex initiatives at the same time with high degree of autonomy, strength in planning and execution and Vendor management and negotiation experience
- Proven attention to detail. Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Self-motivated go-getter with a knack for meeting deadlines under pressure
- Creative thinker who demonstrates innovative approaches to problem solving and ability to constantly keep communications fresh and fun
- Thrives on collaboration, problem solving and accomplishing shared goals with ability to work effectively with cross-functional team, including senior leadership and global offices
- Enjoys a millennial, fun and creative work culture – must be a team player!
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite of products namely: MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.