The Software Engineer is a key position in the design and advancement of bio-devices for the animal health industry. This position is responsible for controls systems, design, development and implementation for bio-devices engineering. This position will responsible for developing new commercial products and the support of existing system designs. Design, debug, modify, optimize, and document software and control aspects of automated equipment and research systems.
Lead for controls system development activities in support of bio-devices, integrating all electrical controls and components such as various electro-mechanical and pneumatic motion systems, optical sensing and analysis signal processing, pick-and-place robotics and fluid dispense mechanisms with software architecture and design.
- Code and debug programmable logic controllers PLCs, operator interfaces HMIs, embedded controller and computers. Should be proficient in IEC-61131-3 development languages
- Leads data architecture design and debugging process through understanding of machine control, data management, computer networking, and embedded PC hardware.
- Develops controls system requirements and software specifications with a limited set of customer requirements and limited guidance to meet changing market demands and customer needs. Create engineering documentation standards related to development, commissioning, testing and deployment of automation, control systems and instrumentation solutions
- Develop control system software needed for proof-of-concept of electrical, electronic, electro-mechanical, communications and controls hardware for use in research or development of automated systems
- Sound experience in troubleshooting hardware-software integrations and HMI interfaces
- Perform trial runs of in house and field installed equipment to verify functionality of control systems
- Train field personnel in operation and maintenance of the control aspects of automated equipment developed by the bio-devices engineering group
- Evaluate and recommend control devices such as but not limited to PLC’s, embedded Linux PCs or SBCs, operator interfaces, sensors, pneumatics, wireless communications, etc.
- Implements andappliessoftware lifecycle development methodology
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following computer languages: Ladder Logic or Structured Text (IEC 61131-3)
- Demonstrated experience with embedded Linux or embedded RTOS development is desirable
- Demonstrated experienced developing embedded software development and hands-on hardware development skills preferred
- Enthusiasm to promote and drive implementation of Zoetis’s industry leading approach to leveraging software technologies to enhance all aspects of our devices around the world
- Demonstrated experience in critical thinking and problem solving skills, planning and organizing, decision-making
- Excellent communication skills, influencing and leading, facilitation and team work capabilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in C/C++ development is a plus
- Experiencein LabView programming would also be a plus
Education and Experience
- B.S. in ElectricalEngineering, Computer sciences, or Computer Engineering, or candidate with Mechanical Engineeringdegree and a concentration in software development will also be considered.
- Minimum of 3years post-bachelor’sexperience relevant toengineering operations with strong focus on software development ispreferred
Physical Position Requirements
Candidate will work mostly at the Durham site either in an office environment or a development lab environment. Some travel to customer facilities is occasionally required.