About WSP USA WSP USA, formerly WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms—WSP. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment sectors. With nearly 7,000 people in 100 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. wsp.com. The Program In 2015, the California High-Speed Rail Authority awarded WSP the Program Management role within the Rail Delivery Partners (RDP) program delivery team. This position presents an opportunity to work on the first high-speed rail program in the U.S. and grow your career on a groundbreaking project. The California High-Speed Rail program will connect the state’s economic regions, contribute to economic development and a cleaner environment, create jobs and preserve agricultural and protected lands. When Phase 1 of the system is completed, it will run from San Francisco to the Los Angeles basin in under three hours at speeds of more than 200 miles per hour. The system will ultimately extend to Sacramento and San Diego, totaling 800 miles with up to 24 stations. Position Description:Based in Sacramento, California, the Strategy & Special Projects Coordinator will be a key member of the strategy and special projects team which is within the Authority’s communications program. We are recruiting for a motivated self-starter with a demonstrated interest in the transportation and infrastructure industry to join a dynamic team of professionals. Exceptional and proven writing skills combined with strong research, analytic and schedule/project management skills are key to this position. Attention to detail, resourcefulness and the ability to work independently and master new concepts quickly are important attributes, as are accuracy, critical review and a focus on quality assurance. Ability to work with technical staff/resource information and to summarize and explain it for a non-technical audience is also a requisite for this position. This position will work with a diverse group of people that includes clients, vendors, partners, and internal (program/project) staff. This position will:
- Be a member of the Strategy and Special Projects team within and in support of the California High-Speed Rail Authority’s Office of Communications.
- Be part of a team responsible for developing complex, high profile and detailed business plans, reports and other documents that are prepared through a multi-disciplinary, cross-departmental process. These materials will include annual and biannual publications with content, deadline and delivery required by law or mandate, and which undergo significant internal review by the Authority’s executive team, Board of Directors and other officials. These reports and materials are typically submitted to the legislature, the federal government and the public, and undergo significant external coverage by the media and stakeholder examination.
- Be responsible for researching, drafting, reviewing and helping to edit these detailed reports, materials and content as well as drafting related materials such as presentations, speaking points and fact sheets. This involves transforming technical content into coherent and understandable information for public and non-technical audiences.
- Support the development, production and delivery of materials and publications. Support may include: coordinating a development and review schedule and the review process; organizing team meetings and meetings with department or task leads to seek information and/or conduct fact checks; conducting research; production scheduling, formatting and internal distribution of draft reports, fact sheets, executive summaries, and other materials; as well as records and file management.
- Function as point of contact for project status updates and task trafficking; oversee scheduling and production deadlines to meet internal and external requests.
- Proofread draft and final documents to ensure quality control and accuracy.
- Have the ability to work independently as well as with a diverse group of people and the public as well as interact effectively across all organizational levels, including senior management, while meeting deadlines and multi-tasking in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Have ability to exercise a high level of discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Communications, Planning or related field of study.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in public policy, political science, business, planning, communications, legislative affairs, transportation and/or a related field.
- Must work effectively as an individual and with teams and demonstrate initiative.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to take ownership of deliverable deadlines.
- Ability to work in this country immediately.
- Superior writing and proofing skills (English); must have demonstrated experience with detailed technical information and skill in effectively communicating technical material or complex issues for the public, stakeholders and policy makers.
- Strong analytic and research skills; ability to collect, interpret and synthesize data and information, to organize ideas and present findings in a logical manner.
- Skill in effective oral communication techniques to explain, justify, or discuss a variety of issues and/or findings requiring a logical presentation of appropriate facts and information or analysis.
- Ability to work effectively under the pressure of tight time frames and rigid deadlines.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills, skill in dealing with senior executives and their immediate staffs; skill in interacting with other specialists and team members; ability to provide effective guidance to junior team members.
- Meticulous attention to detail in order to achieve standards and meet expectations with regard to accuracy and thoroughness of written material.
- Experience with scheduling and priority setting with multiple people including internal/external contacts and with preparing material complicated by short deadlines and limited information.
- Experience in writing, coordinating and editing internal and external reports and documents such as annual reports, white papers, articles, research studies, etc.
- Adaptability and comfort with a changing environment with variable deadlines.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Planning, Communications or a related field.
- Prior experience or exposure to working for or with government agencies and/or infrastructure projects.
- Experience with transportation and/or related public services.