To support and enhance the mission of the Housing and Residential Life Department, the Director of Housing Services will be responsible for creating, engaging in, and maintaining a comprehensive residential environment that is academically and socially stimulating and will coordinate all housing operation and administration.
This position requires significant interaction and collaboration with the Director of Residential Life and outside constituents such as Information Technology Services, Athletics, Pipeline Programs, Academic Advising, Facilities, Student Financial Services, Disability Resource Center, University Scholars, Public Safety, Dining Services, etc.
The Director will supervise a team of 4 staff members, including 2 Assignment & Billing Coordinators, 1 Database and Operations Manager, and 1 Customer Service Supervisor within Housing Services. It also requires oversight of vendor agreements and relationships with companies such as Residential Management Systems (RMS), Comcast, Microfridges, and University and Student Services (USS). Reporting to the Senior Director of Operations, this person will provide leadership to the team overseeing on-campus housing services, which includes the room assignments and billing of over 8,500 students and customer service. The Director will also be responsible for the planning, coordination and implementation of all aspects of the housing assignment processes for freshmen, upper-class and graduate/lawstudents.
The Director develops and maintains the Operations Calendar, which includes managing all assignment cycles during peak periods during the academic year. The Director will oversee and become the Department’s liaison for specialty populations such as (but not limited to) Athletics, Pipeline Programs, Disability Resource Center, Grad/Law, Exchange, University Scholars, We Care, etc.
The Director is responsible for management and oversight of the Customer Service Center in Housing Services (Speare Commons “one-stop”). He/She must work closely with other areas located within Speare Commons to develop and maintain an integrated service model whose goal is to provide outstanding customer service to external and internal customers (parents, students, faculty, and administration).
Additional responsibilities include developing communications & marketing and updating and revising the following materials: Moving to Campus Brochure, License Agreement, Move-in/out materials as well as the communication and marketing of all assignment processes for undergraduate, graduate, lawstudent housing.
The Director will also oversee the housing petition process where careful research, clear communication, and strong judgment skills are very important. He/She will also serve as the key representative of Housing Services for Admissions Open Houses and New StudentOrientation each year. This includes developing and giving presentations and representing Housing in various university committees as they relate to new student matriculation.
On-campus housing is a 24 hours, 7 days a week operation. The Director will be expected to be available by phone after hours and available some nights and weekends as needed. Additionally, they will be part of an executive level on call duty rotation.
The Director of Housing Services will also co-supervise the Director of ResNet in conjunction with the Director of IS-Customer Service. The ResNet program provides Internet access and support to all residential students.
The Director must be comfortable working in a very fast-paced environment and resolve conflicts and disputes in a professional manner. He/she must possess the ability handle confidential information in a sensitive manner; be detailed oriented; possess strong administrative experience and communicate clearly and effectively to a diverse student, parent and staff population.
The Director must possess enthusiasm for higher education and a commitment to the mission and goals of the University through his/her dedication to customer service.
Employee must have the flexibility to work on several projects concurrently. Demonstrate diplomacy and sensitivity in working with confidential matters. Requires sound judgement and analytical skills; attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy and follow through; ability to work under pressure with a positive attitude. Negotiation and mediation skills are required and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Must be able to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment and possess enthusiasm for higher education and have an overall commitment to excellence in customer service. Ideal candidate: outgoing, detail-oriented team player that is able to communicate clearly to a diverse student, parent, and staff population.
• Master’s in Student Personnel or related degreerequired. The ideal candidate has 5-7 years’ experience on College/University setting with background in Housing & Residential Life Administration or related field.
• Customer Service Skills: professionalism; diplomatic; reliable and consistent service; ability to assess problems and customer needs; Able to handle difficult customers and situations.
• Some experience with housing database systems required
• Management experience and experience supervising full time professional staff: leadership skills; ability to motivate others; diplomatic and consistent; conflict mediation skills; able to work as a part of a team; some training and development experience preferred;
• Excellent organization skills- Attention to details.
• Knowledge of PCs, Word, Excel, Windows applications and website maintenance and development. Functional use of database applications preferred.
• Strong Communication and Public Speaking Skills: Ability to communicate information to large groups of parents and students at Orientation and Admissions Open House presentations; listens well; good verbal and written skills, including the ability to proofread publications and other written materials.
• Demonstrate ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high traffic environment.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential materials.
• Willingness and ability to adapt and learn quickly new policies and procedures.