Automation Engineer ( Systems Performance )
The Automation Engineer will engineer and implement advanced solutions to remove toil from the organization using advanced solutions such as automation, software orchestration, software development, and coding self-optimizing, self-configuring, and self-testing functions. The role will maintain domain engineering knowledge (Access Engineer, Access Operations, Core Operations, Service Engineering, Security, Dev Ops, etc.) and expertise in software development skills. The role will leverage knowledge in automation toolsets and techniques to implement appropriate automation processes to improve efficiencies over time.
- Design, engineer & implement software driven solutions.
- Utilize Agile and DevOps development techniques to drive platform/system development to enable automation.
- Work with the automation and IS teams to identify and implement solutions within engineering that will improve reliability, decrease workload and improve agility.
- Develop and work on projects to identify areas which are high labor intensive, expensive to execute, or repetitive in nature, where automation will reduce cost and redundancy.
- Create and provide training on new/modified processes.
- Provide on-going support for implemented automation processes.
- Survey and maintain documentation of major activities within engineering that focus on areas which are high cost and/or labor-intensive, focusing on prioritizing those with the greatest impact to the business.
- Maintain continuous integration and software deployment processes across the distributed automation platform that supports the automation teams.
- Conduct automation and configuration management.
- Utilize software orchestration, automation and software development skills to develop solutions to configure, monitor, optimize and test network domains.
- Provide recommendations to leadership team(s), covering relative cost of activities, opportunities for automation and benefits of automation.
• Bachelor’s degree in business analysis, systems engineering, application development, computer science, operations management, or equivalent work experience preferred.
• 4 years of experience in a technical area such as telecommunications or IT.
• Strong experience in technical disciplines (such as Access Engineering, Access Operations, Core Operations, Service Engineering, Security, DevOps, etc) or automation environments (software development, software processes, implementing automation in the workplace, etc).
• Experience working in a network operations center, or similar network/system technical organization
• Experience in software development in areas of Agile and DevOps preferred.
• Knowledge, understanding and skills utilizing automation technologies within Engineering, including and not limited to the following:
o Programming languages including Python / ’R’ / Java / shell scripting / SQL / HiveQL.
o Software Development Platforms including Docker / Kubernetes / Hadoop / Openstack.
o Systems and Databases including Linux / Postgres / Oracle / Hadoop / Virtualization Technologies (KVM, VMware, etc,)Network Management Applications including Resolve / Netcool / Remedy / Netscout / Wireless Network Guardian / CXM / Netact / OSS-RC / IBM ITNM / Infovista TEMs
o Custom-developed work automation tools that leverage microservices and various automation tools.
• Strong written, verbal, organizational, and interpersonal skills are required.
• Strong analytical skills, proven in large-scale projects.
• Strong knowledge of project/program management.