Req #: 10343
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Scope of Position:
Provide leadership and oversight to Precision Glass Solutions (PGS) Applications Engineering Team.
- Build a scalable Applications Engineering team including all policies and procedures
- Own and document internal and external specifications
- Be the primary technical interface between Corning and our customers
- Work with Product Engineering to determine capability limitations for new opportunities
- Determine manufacturability of product through detailed understanding of manufacturing/supply chain process, attribute choices and implications on manufacturability/cost, and so on.
- Working manager – this individual will have primary WW responsibility for at least one PGS product line.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Interface with peers in supply chain, operations, commercial technology, and sales. Provide information to these teams per internal systems (New Business Development program, etc.).
- Ensure that clear direction is provided:
- From customers to internal counterparts.
- From internal counterparts to customers.
- Assist account managers with technical aspects of customer relationships
- Write external product specifications for PGS products.
- Gain specification agreement with customers buying PGS products
- Organize internal response to product quality disagreements with customers and represent the outcome to the customer.
- Provide the customer technical interface between PGS and assigned customers
- Act as point of contact for customers’ technical information requests.
- Provide technical assistance to the customers’ manufacturing and sales operations.
- Prepare and maintain (and present as required internally and externally) technical and product related training presentations to assist customers.
- Identify new product and application opportunities for Corning products (PGS or others) at customers or otherwise in the field and report back internally for assessment and development.
- Represent the customer perspective on PGS internal projects
- Represent department and customers on internal projects
- Assume added leadership roles on internal projects as necessary
- Provide training as required (inside and outside the department) for assigned areas of technical specialty
Travel Requirements: 35%. International included. Travel to team members to provide direction and customers for direct interface.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field. Engineering degrees preferred. Advanced degree preferred. Degree in glass technology, ceramics or materials or related field preferred.
- Previous management experience is preferred.
- Fluency in the English language.
- At least ten years’ work experience in current field.
- Strong planning, documentation and process proclivity.
- Skills to communicate clearly in front of a large (perhaps unsympathetic) group, including explaining PGS technology and applications.
- Poise and confidence in an external situation. Ability to think extemporaneously in a stressful situation.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to solve customer problems. Ability to “think ahead”, using judgment to anticipate outcomes for different technical scenarios.
- Ability to effectively organize, participate in and lead cross-functional and diverse teams. Ability to gain trust and cooperation from a diverse set of internal colleagues and external customers.
- Comfort in a changing work environment.
- Experience and ability to clearly document our technical processes and capabilities.