The Capital and Engineering organization is a new function within Dow AgroSciences that is chartered to deliver capital solutions, engineering and project execution expertise across the Ag Division, including both Platforms (Crop Protection and Seeds). This organization has many exciting new job opportunities, including this posting for a Cost Management Specialist.
The Cost Management Specialist assists the project managers and project engineers to ensure utilization of cost management best practices to achieve project objectives. This position works with the project leadership team to ensure accurate and timely cost controls are implemented and maintained during the project lifecycle. The selected individual will also provide oversight on projects that are executed with external engineering services (EPC). This oversight will include: establishing clear Owner expectations on EPC deliverables and monitor EPC progress as well as EVM methodologies.
- Derive the cost baseline based upon project plans, baseline estimate and baseline schedule
- Provide project team with up-to-date commitment, spending, deviation and forecast information needed to appropriately manage project budget and costs
- Analyze project commitments and spending to ensure that each item is within project scope and aligns with the project estimate
- Communicate with project team members to determine current status of assigned projects
- Investigate and resolve discrepancies between expected and actual planned spending and commitments
- Provide cost management oversight & analysis on EPC outsourced projects
- Use project knowledge from various sources, including SAP, project schedule, project team and contractors, to develop a forecast that is accurately cash-flowed across time
- Ensure cost deviations and project change orders are accurately reflected in the project data and forecast
- Coordinate with Project Manager and cost accountants to book monthly accruals
- Ensure Project Controls Reports are issued to the project team in accordance with documented Project Controls Plans (frequency, format, etc.)
- Provide final cost data to project team at project closure.
- 10+ years of capital project experience
- 4-6 years’ experience in cost management on capital projects.
- BS in Engineering or other field
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- Industry standard best practice project cost management processes and their application
- Use of industry accepted applications for cost, along with the standard Microsoft applications - Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Broad understanding of EPC disciplines and activities that are necessary to design, construct and start-up chemical processes.
REQUIRED SOFT SKILLS:
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimum of direct supervision.
- Great time management skills including the ability to manage a substantial work load.
- Interpersonal skills for developing a client base and working in a multi-function team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and desire to expand knowledge.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and execute multiple concurrent activities and deliver on commitments under tight time constraints.
- Ability to work in a team environment to deliver per project objectives.
- English fluency, speaking and writing, in addition to fluent in local language.
- Strong ability in listening and communication, including consulting by telephone.
- Comfortable working with colleagues with a variety of backgrounds.
- Focused on delivering effective, usable results.
- Sound interpersonal skills, confidence, and ability to form good working relationships and negotiate effectively with internal and external contacts.
GEOGRAPHIC PREFERENCES, TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS:
- Preferred geographic locations include Indianapolis, IN or Midland, MI, but otherlocations will be considered.
- Must be able to travel to company facilities and Engineering Contractors (EPC)
- Depending upon candidate’s location, either Regional or Global travel (10-15%) may be required often on short notice.