Senior Director of Business Development and Strategy for Defense
Aerojet Rocketdyne is seeking a Senior Director of Strategy and Business Development to join our growing facility in Huntsville, Alabama.
The successful candidate will be the functional leader for business development and strategy, and will have ownership of the business acquisition process, the annual and long range business pursuit pipeline definition for the Aerojet Rocketdyne Defense Business Unit. Furthermore, the Senior Director, Strategy and Business Development, will own business development talent development and serve as the primary point of interaction with the government relations and strategy functions for business development efforts in this business sector. The individual will be accountable for driving growth and profitability objectives for this area.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
30% - Leading the Defense business sector business development and strategic planning functions, including new business identification, qualification and capture, as well as supporting acquisitions, joint ventures and divestitures.
10% - Working closely with the SVP of Strategy and Business Development to ensure the effective communication of the Defense sector strategy through the company.
15% - Undertaking on-going evaluation of the Defense sector’s business development operating model, structure, resources and leadership.
15% - Leveraging talent and resources and raising the standards of his/her team to meet the new performance culture in Aerojet Rocketdyne and the business development function.
8% - Providing timely intelligence on all captures and competition, including realistic assessment of opportunities, status updates, and partnerships and recommends funding to internal and external studies and research initiatives to identify emerging transformation initiatives.
7% - Developing, refining, and sustaining the strategic plan for Defense Business unit for the company. This process will include in-depth understanding of clients, competitors, market trends, and value-creation potential in each sector to evaluate the attractiveness of each segment in support of the strategic plan, operational decisions, and future investments.
5% - Conducting on-going economic and industry research to identify opportunities to enable s/he to design market entry strategies for the company.
5% - Monitoring the key macro-level trends and competitive landscapes for all businesses and highlighting the shifts in the marketplace through timely reports.
5% - Preparing organizational and specific business unit benchmarks.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree (preferably in an Engineering or related discipline) and at least 14years of progressively responsible senior leadership experience in the defense industry or an equivalent combination of education and experience. In addition, at least eight years of management of a discipline, department, or business unit is required. Master of Business Administration or degrees and experience in the government related to this business area preferred.
US Citizenship Only Required. Dual Citizenship does not meet job qualifications. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. Citizenship). Must be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a highly strategic, hands-on business growth leader with a passion for identifying, developing, and implementing strategies – this will include organic, inorganic, international, and joint venture growth opportunities as well as business development and capture. It is important that the Senior Director of Strategy and Business Development for Defense, is a high achiever with strong business acumen and can focus on the business objectives and ensure their realization.
- Have a proven track record of business development and capture and delivering timely and incisive recommendations for key decisions involving strategic growth initiative for the Defense Unit.
- Strong, broad based business development experience demonstrating creativity, innovation, and a charismatic leadership style that elicits the best from his or her team.
- An ability to be a significant contributor to the senior management dialogue and strategic direction of business, while displaying a proven ability to develop and implement tactical elements of strategy implementation.
- An experienced leader of business capture processes, with a successful and meaningful track record of at least ten years of experience selling technically complex solutions in government and defense markets.
- Significant strategy and senior management experience in a successful and growing organization where strategic planning has had a significant positive impact on the company.
- Exceptional analytical and strategic orientation – demonstrated understanding building complex financial models, performing financial analysis, assimilating multiple data points and quickly drawing logical conclusions.
- An ability to organize and lead an effective, high performance team, mentoring and motivating them to achieve aggressive goals and objectives.
- Experience collaborating closely with all customers to obtain the earliest possible identification business opportunities.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and improvement orientation – willingness to embrace and drive change and willingness/ability to focus on what can be done to improve performance.
- Strong communication and executive presentation skills.
- A high level of business acumen, “street smarts”, and the highest level of integrity.
- Understanding of the business
- Making complex decisions
- Creating the new and the different
- Being organization savvy
- Communicating effectively
- Managing diverse relationships
- Acting with honor and character
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit and to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 15 pounds; may require minimal walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.