The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization, with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. These endeavors have been around for centuries and will continue to be a vital part of the global economy. We currently have a Sr. Automation Engineer position available at our Headquarters in Boise, ID.
This job posting is for a Sr. Automation Engineering lead that supports production efforts of the Food Group Business Unit by providing overall technical engineering leadership with a focus on automation. This role is accountable for providing technical leadership to multiple complex capital installation projects (typically $2MM - $50MM) across multiple site locations. To implement new or existing equipment, design and implement instrumentation and controls systems and processes to deliver best asset deployment value in a Food Manufacturing Environment.
· Lead and direct internal and external engineering and operations teams in establishing the appropriate food safety and sanitary designs of control systems, to ensure the project meets intended results, scope, budget & timeline
· Provide expertise in electrical power, low voltage systems, network design, Bus networks, process control and total system integration to ensure that design, programming, HMI development and construction activities comply with standards, specifications, regulatory codes that will ultimately provide a seamless and successful start-up
· Leads, directs and participates in the development of Operation Narratives
· Directs and accountable for the development of Process Control Narratives
· Accountable to ensure the control system design is aligned with the overall project design while providing best value of choice
· Accountable for project system quality and performance (hitting rates, speeds, throughputs, efficiencies, etc.)
· Accountable for the accurate development of P&IDs (sometimes by others)
· Directs and accountable for; scope development, equipment specifications and review, bidding & evaluation of quotes, review of technical drawings, assembling construction bid packages, cost estimating, cost control, gaining alignment with operations and key stakeholders, and providing oversight to construction, commissioning & start-up leadership.
· Accountable for assessing and delivering the most cost effective design that aligns with key stakeholders the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering solutions
· Leads and is accountable for the development and evaluation of plans and success criteria (often by others) to ensure that project and/or system performance meets business objectives for a variety of projects and activities that are usually carried out by others.
· Review and communicate project cost risks to leadership, including instances of breach of policies, standards or codes
· Ensure proper engineering and turnover documentation complies with specifications, standards and expectations
· B.S. Degree in Electrical or Automation Engineering from 4 year college or university
· Seven plus years related experience and/or training
· Extensive design and budget development experience on large capital projects
· Knowledge of control system architectures for industrial or manufacturing capital projects (low voltageelectrical power, control panel design, P&IDs, Bus networks, instrumentation, PLC programming, HMI development, motor control centers, etc.)
· Knowledge of electrical design for low voltage and control systems (Ethernet, digital Fieldbus etc.)
· Extensive knowledge of Rockwell PLC family products (ControlLogix, CompactLogix, MicroLogix etc.)
· Knowledge of Rockwell suite of software (RSLogix, FactoryTalk view studio, transaction manager, RSLinx, Historian etc.)
· Knowledgeable of Food Plant Operations
· Extensive consultant and construction people management experience will be required at this level
· Previous experience managing technical teams or groups is expected
· Excellent interpersonal, and written and verbal communications skills.
· Possess and can demonstrate effective thinking and behaviors as it relates to leadership skills and competencies. (esp. passion, collaboration, urgency and conflict resolution)
· Ability to lead and/or work on multiple small projects across multiple sites simultaneously; including compressed project (and installation) timelines in an operating food manufacturing facility.
· Possess knowledge of other PLC manufacturers and software (Siemens, Modicon, SQLdatabases, iFix, WonderWare etc.)
· Strong business acumen to understand and deliver the most cost effective technical solution to the business
· Ability to multi-task and lead the automation engineering effort on multiple capital projects in the food industry from design, construction and all the way through start-up
· Possess the ability to contribute significantly to the solution of applied problems
· Ability to follow an engineering process (from high level concept through detailed execution and start-ups)
· Experienced in fast track of factory equipment commissioning and start-up processes
· Proven flexibility for the need to meet business and customer demands (e.g. temporary patching, then long term solutions to ensure business delivery)