Job Details: Summary of Position Description
The Nurse Director is the vital link between the mission and vision of Maine Medical Center and the delivery of safe patient and family centered care that is compassionate, evidence-based, and provides highest quality care. Reporting through an Associate Vice President for Nursing, this role requires collaboration with physicians, senior administration, directors and other professional colleagues to meet the diverse and continually changing challenges of the health care environment. The Nurse Director must be a creative, autonomous, future-oriented, risk-taking entrepreneur who applies nursing expertise, critical thinking, and effective leadership and management skills to ensure that quality care is provided through satisfied and inspired professionals.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Requires current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Maine.
- Requires Bachelor of Science in Nursing; Master’s preferred.
- Requires interpersonal and management skills and knowledge of employee relation laws as normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, in order to deal with complex management problems and communicate with unit personnel, physicians, administrative personnel, a variety of other hospital personnel, and community persons.
- Requires clinical expertise in direct patient care as normally acquired through approximately five years experience as a staff nurse and/or nurse manager.
- Requires a high level of critical thinking and analytical skills to make management decisions at unit level and make recommendations for consideration on departmental issues.
- Requires the ability to integrate the knowledge of teaching principles and counseling techniques in order to direct the growth of the unit staff.
- Requires a high level of organization skills, effective time management and delegation strategies that include the ability to rapidly prioritize and adjust work flow according to changing unit needs.