Associate Director of Discovery and Translational Research
This Associate Director of Discovery and Translational Research is an acknowledged technical and strategic expert whose primary role is to provide scientific leadership, research planning and decision making in therapeutic areas for metabolic and neurodegenerative disorders. Your responsibilities will include partnering with scientists and research project teams to identify new targets, screen for lead therapeutic candidates, oversee preclinical and IND-enabling studies, providing scientific expertise to generate proof-of-concept data and key pre-clinical safety and efficacy data to support the translation of projects into the clinic. These strategic goals include identification and development of new targets, development and implementation of assays indicating target engagement and impact on disease in pre-clinical models, drive projects through the various stages of pre-clinical development and into the clinic. You will take the lead in keeping up-to-date on, and providing scientific expertise regarding, target discovery and pre-clinical initiatives.
· Collaborate with research associates, scientists, and members of the pre-clinical, clinical, and business development/commercial teams to identify new targets, agree on a development strategy, and then oversee the prosecution of project objectives. As a scientific leader, the successful candidate would provide strategic, technical and scientific leadership for development, implementation and data interpretation of an integrated translational research strategy for assigned program(s).
· Partner with internal scientists and external collaborators to design and execute translational research to discover and develop targets through early stage research, demonstration of proof-of-concept in an animal model, and through to completion of the pre-clinical safety and efficacy studies necessary to file an Investigational New Drug application.
· Represent Research on cross-functional project teams to lead or contribute to the pre-clinical efforts and direction of assigned programs, including ensuring projects hit key milestones including proof-of-concept in an animal model of disease, dose and biomarker selection, pharmacologic, pharmacodynamics, and safety data to support first-in-human studies.
· Participate in the design and implementation of assays required to support development activities and ensure the scientific quality of pharmacodynamic assay data
· Evaluate, and use new scientific tools for effective and thorough early stage research and pre-clinical programs and ensure that technical and scientific standards meet state-of-the-art industry expectations.
· Maintain extensive knowledge of the research and development efforts from academic institutions, competitor pharmaceutical companies for relevant target programs.
· Responsible for the preparation and review of candidate nomination documents, study reports, protocols and documents submitted to Regulatory Agencies in support of clinical studies.
· Support Business Development efforts by supporting potential partnership activities and evaluating potential in licensing opportunities and serve as a liaison with external companies, organizations, consultants, university representatives, NIH, and with FDA, as required. Establish and maintain scientific dialog with key opinion leaders (KOLs), collaborators, and translational experts in medical, academic and regulatory communities.
Education and Requirements
· Ph.D +10 years, or PharmD +12 years, or Masters +13 years or Bachelors +15 years Degree is expected in relevant scientific area, e.g., Neurobiology, Metabolic Diseases, Immunology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Cell Biology.
· 7+ years of relevant industry experience in basic science and translational research
· Recognized expertise in target discovery and development and translational research as demonstrated by publications, regulatory submissions and/or national or international presentations
· Must be capable of utilizing the highest scientific and technical standards for the successful design and execution of translational research strategies implemented in early research and pre-clinical programs in a timely manner
· Should serve as a “highly credible technical expert” to outside functional areas
· Excellent understanding of translational research, drug development, regulatory processes and early clinical development
· Strong leadership abilities and proven ability to lead a project team within an organization as well as work independently
· Superior analytical, problem solving skills
· Extraordinary oral and written communication skills
· Exceptional interpersonal skills
Subject matter knowledge of neurobiology, metabolic or lysosomal disorders, immunology, antibodies or genetics
Experience with AAV vectors, genome editing or gene therapy technology a plus
Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: SGMO) Sangamo is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the research, development and commercialization of engineered DNA-binding proteins as novel therapeutics to treat unmet medical needs. We are the worldwide leader in developing zinc finger DNA-binding proteins (ZFPs) for therapeutic gene regulation and modification. We are applying this technology in diverse therapeutic areas including cancer, lysosomal storage diseases and hemophilia
The successful candidate will enjoy a competitive base salary and the opportunity to participate in incentive compensation programs, including bonus and stock option plans. Sangamo offers a comprehensive benefits program, including: medical, dental and vision care; paid vacation and holiday time; access to a voluntary 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer.
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.