Capital Markets Corporate Banking Underwriter ( Commercial Real Estate )
5 - 7 years experience • Financial Services
Serve as the primary underwriter andloan servicer for syndicated commercial real estateloans in Capital Markets CorporateBanking (CMCB), overseeing allloan closings, future fundings, and monitoring the existingloanportfolio. Serve as the secondary point of contact for clients with the Relationship Manager for credit-related matters. Perform the function of aSales& Service Officer, as needed, to maintain responsiveness to the client.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Provide support to assigned CMCBs through review of screening memos prepared by originating commercial real estate team to ensure underwriting is consistent with BB&T credit policy as well as current syndication market.
2. Provide support through underwriting and processing loan requests originated in CMCB. Serve as the senior underwriter to ensure team is consistently evaluating all credit requests and considering all risk factors, especially factors that would impact syndication. Work closely with CMCBs on all new credit requests early in the credit process so team properly position BB&T’s ability to extend credit and develop a relationship.
3. Assist legal counsel and deal team in the drafting and negotiating loan documents.
4. Collect and review due diligence items related to the collateral, borrower, and guarantor as well as general closing checklist items.
5. Post items to deal sites for investors.
6. Coordinate collection and disbursement of fees as well as funding of loan proceeds.
7. Proactively monitor an assigned loanportfolio in commercial real estate credit commitments, including requiredreporting items and covenant compliance.
8. Process all future funding of loan proceeds in conjunction with Construction Loan Administration including construction draws, tenant improvements, leasing commissions, and additional proceeds that are only funded subject to achieving defined performance hurdles.
9. Interface with the client as a secondary contact, specifically for credit-related inquiries.
10. Manage credit risks through thorough underwriting, policy compliance and risk assessments on credit request packages to be submitted for co-approval or approved by CMCBs. Work with the SSOs and PortfolioRisk Officers to ensure packages are complete, accurate and thoroughly documented.
11. Develop in-depth knowledge in assigned industry coverage. Serve as a construction expert to other bankers, reviewing transactions in respective industry and make recommendations regarding structure and risk factors. Provide industry research and metrics to bankers to keep them apprised of trends, risk factors and opportunities in the market.
12. Manage the complex client servicing related to loans with the SSOs and Commercial Sales Assistants (CSAs).
13. Support consistent, effective communication of between CMCBs, SSOs, CSAs, Credit Administration, Syndications or other specialized credit partners to provide superior client service and risk management. Participate in sales meeting, credit pre-screens and loan reviews.
14. Attend product knowledge training classes to develop a fundamental understanding of corporate products and services.
Required Skills and Competencies: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field, or equivalent education and related training.
2. Seven years of experience in commercial real estate lending.
3. Experience in underwriting, closing, and servicing direct and syndicated loan transactions (e.g. $25MM to $150MM+) that include new construction as well as stabilized assets in various property types.
4. Experience in understanding constructionbudgets, building plans & specifications, environmental issues, appraisals, property condition assessments, insurance, flood certificates, and other due diligence related to construction lending.
5. Strong verbal, written, analytical and communication skills.
6. Understanding of financial and cost accounting principles.
7. Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications such as Microsoft Office software products.
8. Ability to travel, occasionally overnight
1. Graduate of the BB&T Leadership Development Program (LDP)
2. Experience managing commercial real estate credit and deposit relationships
3. Experience in working with correspondent banks
4. Experience in bank operations as it relates to corporate services
BB&T is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status or other classification protected by law.