Note: Need 8-10 years of experience
The Lead Engineer is a professional, technical leadership position, responsible for design, development, and release of engineering systems for use in Spartan vehicle and service assemblies.
May be the company expert within a discipline or specialty able to conceive and develop creative and innovative technology critical to company success.
- Directs strategic and tactical work force staffing and budgeting
- Lead product concepts and design of systems that meets the performance, reliability, and cost targets
- Develop system requirements and performance criteria using his/her own technical expertise, understanding of the customer needs, and knowledge of the industry
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of total system design, development, and implementation through engineering releases of new systems to assure availability of desired quality products on timely basis per Business Unit plans
- Establish and assure implementation of design parameters to assure product compliance with all legislative requirements.
- Direct product change in transition from current to future products by integrating innovation from technologyportfolio and suppliers into vehicle programs.
- Lead the design of high quality, competitive systems in support of New Product Development and Sustaining Efforts for optimum product positioning, cost competitiveness, and customer satisfaction.
- Prepare, present and provide counsel on technical proposal to the Business Units to assure proper technical data for sound business decisions
- Provide technical leadership and coaching to direct reports and extended team.
- Drive functional excellence through the use of quality tools, DFMEAs, 8Ds, etc
- Maintain accuracy and relevance of assigned Product System Manuals (PSMs)
- Establishes and maintains technical standards within discipline
- Drive innovation and continuous improvement
- Espouse and model Spartan’s values and guiding behaviors in order to build a self-sustaining, motivated team geared toward product innovation and operational excellence in support of Spartan’s sustained profitability
- Schedule, motivate and effectively use the manpower available by setting work priorities and by communicating objectives and results of individual performance
- Act as stand-in to Chief Engineer
- Other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s (BS) degree in Engineering or EngineeringTechnologyrequired
- Masters (MS) degree in Engineeringpreferred
- 10 or more years of work experience in engineering or a related technical field
- Up to 2 years of management experiencepreferred
- Requiredengineering skills include both analytical and “hands-on” abilities
- Consistent attention to detail
- Strong: Communication skills, verbal and written, Organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Strong leadership attributes
- Self-motivated with the ability to stay on task and prioritize workload
- Creative and innovative team player
- Strong computer skills are required
- Versatile, flexible, and a willingness to adapt to changing priorities
- Willing to improve self / area / company (including pursing additional training, if needed)
- Complete knowledge of field and proven skills in applying that knowledge on research, development, and progress implementation
- In-depth knowledge of automotive components, modules and their assembly
- Ability to drive the use of quality tools and lead the development and application of product development and assurance plans
- Able to interface effectively with and develop relationships with internal and external customers/suppliers
- Successfully drive continuous improvement of products in areas of cost, reliability, and function
- Experienced leader in the design and development of components, modules, used in the transportation industry and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach and mentor a diverse group of technical professionals
- Skilled knowledge of finite element analysis – Linear and Non-Linear
- Welded joint fatigue analysis (Aluminum and Steel)
- Bolted joint analysis
- Failure analyses
- Design optimization
- Hand calculations
- 5 years of experience in ANSYS/MSC/Abaqus or similar FEA software required
- 5 years of experience in SolidWorks or similar CAD software required
- Background in vehicle dynamic analysis preferred
- Experience in outsourcing of analysis projects