Job Description Summary
The Underwriter Supervisor isresponsible for providing effective and efficient management of the Underwriting Department. This includes overseeing that the underwriting of allloan types offered by HomeStreet Bank, occurs in a timely manner and in accordance with company andinvestorguidelines.
• Supervise Underwriting Department personnel. This includes hiring, training, coaching and conducting performance appraisals.
• Underwrite loan files. Complete a thorough analysis of entire loan packages to determine compliance with company, investor, and FHA/VA guidelines. File load to be determined by manager.
• Underwrite complex tax returns and complicated loan and income scenarios for Portfolio and Construction-Perm loans.
• Ensure the accurate and timely underwriting of all loan files within the department.
• Monitor the performance of all employees individually and as a group. Ensure that standards are met for professionalism and teamwork.
• Understand and maintain a thorough knowledge of all company, investor, correspondent programs and requirements.
• Keep abreast of all investor and regulatory changes that affect the underwriting of all loan types. Ensure that all employees are kept informed of all underwriting guidelines and changes. Implement changes, as needed.
• Be available to Production and Processing staff for interpretations and questions in general or for specific loan files. Communicate effectively with personnel in other departments or mortgage branches.
• Provide daily review and support to underwriting staff on files requiring a second signature.
• Work to create a positive, supportive and fun work environment in assigned group. Assist in creating this environment throughout the company.
• Attend company functions, industry events, training classes or other activities outside the office, as required.
• Assume or perform additional duties as they arise, cross-train within the department, and be responsive to the department.
• Minimum five years single family mortgage loan underwriting experience.
• Minimum two years management experience or the demonstrated ability to manage people.
• Thorough knowledge of all loan types, i.e.: Conventional, FHA, FHA 203K, VA, USDA, One Steps, Renovation and Portfolio.
• Possess good judgment, ability to accept responsibility and handle confidential information.
• Good at problem solving, researching, and decision making.
• Willing to work overtime, when needed, to maintain an acceptable response time to our production staff, as outlined by manager.
• Excellent communication skills – phone, personal contact and written.
• Able to work as part of a team, as well as independently, and with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Maintain effective communication and working relationship with manager, co-workers, branches, home office departments, correspondents and brokers.
• Must be a self-starter, dependable, accurate in completing responsibilities with strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Professional in standards, skills and manner of dealing with others.
• Able to accept and facilitate change whether indicated by corporate needs, market, or regulatory requirements.
• Versatility and ability to keep up with industry and technology changes.
• Ability to accept and facilitate change caused by customer demand, corporate needs or regulatory requirements.
• Proficiency with MS Office (Excel and Word) and MS Outlook.