- Minimum Education: Master's degree in Mathematical Finance, Financial Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Statistics, Finance or a related discipline.
- Minimum Experience: Five years of quantitative model development, documentation, testing and analysis experience, preferably in the financial services industry OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of model development including model design, documentation and implementation.
- Knowledge and understanding of statistics for hypothesis testing.
- Knowledge of reporting and dashboard tools such as Business Objects.
- Data visualization and presentation skills with ability to translate outcomes into business opportunities.
- Professional technical writing skill for documenting analytical results and processes.
- Skill in engaging non-technical clients and communicating in a clear and concise manner.
- Proficiency using R or SAS.
- Proficiency using SQL and extracting data from relational databases.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software products with advanced proficiency using Excel and Visual Basic.
- Certification(s): PhD in applicable discipline is preferred.
Additional Job information:
- Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- General banking and business knowledge.
- PhD in applicable discipline
Job Description: Job Summary:
Participates in and supports the development, documentation, maintenance, enhancement and testing of moderately complex risk measurements and financial management models in accordance with regulatory requirements and in support of Synovus key strategic objectives. Collaborates with team members and business partners in the design of model specifications which accurately reflect corresponding methodology requirements and which capture and/or define requirements used in business analysis and predictive model development. Develops and documents model frameworks in a accordance with regulatory requirements, coding, back testing and implementation of models in internal systems.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports and participates in financial/statistical model development, analysis and maintenance activities that increase company revenues, gain market share, improve pricing, optimize specific credit portfolios and assess incentive pay against ROE for individual loans and portfolios. Provides quantitative and qualitative reporting and analysis for data driven business decisions, as well as regulatory and risk modeling.
- Participates in the development and documentation of models that quantify impacts on income statement and balance sheet items in collaboration with applicable third-parties. Designs, develops and validates predictive models to support customer contact strategies including marketing and retention. Develops predictive analytics based on account activities and key indicators to prevent fraudulent activities that can result in losses for the company. Enhances documentation around analysis of model outputs for key decisions.
- Participates in the monitoring, maintenance, recalibration and enhancement of required regulatory stress testing and compliance functions to further benefit the company. Develops stress test scenarios, translates regulatory defined stress test scenarios into model parameters, evaluates stress test results and interprets model outputs.
- Maintains existing models and enhances related processes over time to mitigate negative feedback from regulators. Supports activities that improve the company's capabilities with dual-risk ratings, increase revenues, decrease expenses and enhance stress testing processes.
- Delivers analytic results as documented in timelines negotiated with associates and provides progress updates as appropriate. Effectively communicates results, providing business strategy recommendations for optimizing business performance.
- Performs ad hoc statistical analysis, including profiling/forecasting models, utilizing data from multiple internal and external sources. Produces actionable reports showing key performance indicators, indicating root cause analysis of problems, and addressing business questions.
- Participates in activities related to developing innovations that enhance data processing efficiency for model development. Assists senior team members with compiling analytics and metrics used to recommend and implement improvements to internal processes. Assists with maintaining documentation for all processes.
- Remains current on modeling trends, techniques, tools and best practices. Identifies emerging trends in technology as opportunities for future growth and development. May mentor less experienced team members in the development and design of predictive models and analyzing data as requested.
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace. M/F/D/V/AA