Software Engineer (multiple levels) - Big Data Services
Salesforce.com hosts web services and applications written by thousands of internal developers and tens of thousands of customers to provide the largest business automation cloud on the planet. The data platforms and services that collect, store, process, and coordinate the data that enables this innovation and value are continuing their evolution to web-scale distributed systems, with a variety of web-scale stores and services, some are names you're very familiar with in web-scale big data, others are bespoke services to support our leading position in the cloud software and platform marketplace.
Salesforce is building out our Big Data Services team to reinvigorate the way we architect, deliver, and operate the platforms and services that run in our data centers - at consumer web scale. We are looking to add engineers, with experience building and owning distributed services, who can step up and own big chunks of this vision.
Do the points below get you excited about the role? Come and join us at Salesforce!
- Working with HDFS, Yarn, Kafka, Spark, HBase, Phoenix, or equivalent large scale distributed systems technologies
- Eat, sleep, and breathe services. You have experience balancing live-site management, feature delivery, and retirement of technical debt
- Have strong, heartfelt opinions on CAP theorem, can sketch out four different consistency models on a single napkin and defend each of them, and understand Paxos, Raft, and Zookeeper at an implementation level
- Familiarity with crash-only and recovery-oriented software design
- Excited by building reliable, self-healing services on unreliable hardware
- Experience designing, developing, debugging, and operating resilient distributed systems that run across thousands of compute nodes in multiple datacenters
- You haven't just used, but have built and operated the distributed platforms that define cloud-scale infrastructure
- 8+ years of development experience
- Experience with Java and/or C++ in a Linux/UNIX data center environment
- Experience with Hadoop or/and Hbase
- Experience owning and operating multiple instances of a mission critical service
- Experience with Agile development methodology and Test-Driven Development
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. The company was founded on three disruptive ideas: a new technology model in cloud computing, a pay-as-you-go business model, and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model. These founding principles have taken our company to great heights, including being named one of Forbes's "World's Most Innovative Company" five years in a row and one of Fortune's "100 Best Companies to Work For" eight years in a row. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, and this level of growth equals incredible opportunities to grow a career at Salesforce. Together, with our whole Ohana (Hawaiian for "family") made up of our employees, customers, partners and communities, we are working to improve the state of the world.