The TSSC (Technical Support Services Contract) Land Processes Distributed Active Archive Center (LP DAAC) Scientific Development and Operations Manager assists the LP DAAC Task Manager in the management of prototype, development and sustaining projects for the LP DAAC that are contracted to TSSC at the EROS Data Center. Currently TSSC is seeing significant growth within its current projects as well as new development projects being initiated across the contract. This position is onsite at USGS EROS Data Center in Sioux Falls, SD.
- Provide work direction and career development for team members in accordance with project requirements. Team members may include task leads, software and system engineers, architects, data managers, remote sensing scientists, and system operations and admin staff.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and monitoring and controlling of the approved project work. This will include, but not limited to scope, schedule, and budget definition and performance.
- Communicate work status to USGS Project Management, TSSC project managers, TSSC Senior Management, and project team members as appropriate.
- Assist with current and future project staffing and communication planning throughout the project lifecycle.
- Strong people management experience in career development, mentorship, and defining success criteria is essential.
- Generate and distribute weekly and monthly work status reports including staffing, and deliverables status.
- Participate in appropriate milestone reviews.
- Manage, establish, and maintain engineering & software development best practices
- Keep abreast of the state-of-the-art engineering and software development practices with respect to understanding the technology and methods of applying the technology to customer needs.
- Prepare and communicate various technical and task status presentations to a wide range of audiences, as required.
- Support USGS Project Management data calls and scenario development.
- Work with various TSSC Task Leads to clarify and prioritize work activities. Ensures staff complies with established Configuration Management (CM) processes.
- Provides leadership in project-level work process improvement activities.
- Ensure documentation is properly maintained and participate in peer reviews
- Regular attendance and punctuality are essential.
- Periodic travel within the U.S. may be required.
- Minimum of eight years of related experience in overall management of software and engineering technical staff.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to negotiate and form agreements with various customers
- Ability to work in a complex, multi-tasking environment, and successfully lead technical development teams.
- Excellent project management skills with proven success in managing scope, schedule, and budgets.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Candidates must have strong technical knowledge, excellent communication skills, and a teamwork emphasis.
- Experience in software development management
- Experience with satellite ground system engineering and architectures
Job ID: 20618