The Senior Automation Engineer is responsible for leading the successful execution of the automation activities related to the Liquid and Powder Strategy initiatives in the Evansville Supply Center (ESC). These initiatives include but are not limited to sterilization, processing and secondary packaging.
• Assesses local automation/controls, data collection system and validation/qualification standards and partners to develop 3–5 year plan for system infrastructure updates and standardization.
• Responsible for the identification, development and implementation of projects which drive continuous improvement, productivity and sustainability of processes, controls, systems and equipment.
• Provides direction to consultants and contractors to assure conformance with engineering standards and codes.
• Communicates a clear vision for a fully integrated automation team that is aligned with the goals of ESC and MJN.
• Drives continuous improvement, explores industry trends, develops strategies and drives leading edge technology and innovative solutions in Automation, Engineering and Project Management (PM) in order to develop core areas, new alternatives and relevant strategies.
• Establishes, aligns and executes automation capital spending strategies to effectively identify investments in company assets.
• Exhibits mastery of project management principles for the effective execution of automation projects that improve quality, safety, product cost, risk reduction and plant capabilities.
• Clearly understands the procurement policies and work cross functionally to ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures.
• Develops staff and builds a high performance team through utilization of a performance management process that sets expectations, ensures ongoing coaching/mentoring and assesses employee performance.
• Leads projects and teams supporting large scale company initiatives spanning across regions and with people from different cultures.
• Establishes priorities, allocates resources and develops action plans to drive improvement.
• Utilizes analytical, critical thinking and structured root cause analysis techniques for problem solving.
• Provides leadership to team responsible for technical ownership, optimization of assets
and maintaining validated/qualified state throughout equipment lifecycle.
• Networks and partners effectively with management to promote an organizational culture that supports the achievement of business objectives.
• Sustains the flexibility and responsiveness of a non-union workforce through effective leadership, teamwork and communications.
• Collaborates with other departments (Global Engineering, Procurement,
Maintenance and Reliability, Operations, Quality, EHS, Finance, Compliance, IT) to ensure compliance with company policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements.
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a technical area such as Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering. MBA or other advanced degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of 10 years in engineering roles supporting Automation, Manufacturing and/or Industrial operations.
• Minimum 10 years hands-on engineering experience with projects, automation and manufacturing.
• Successful experience in managing people in a dynamic environment and a proven track record of developing people.
• Experience in manufacturing consumer goods in liquid and powdered form and/or filling, packaging of consumer foods, (medical, or pharmaceutical) products desired.
• Proven track record of standardization of software/hardware platforms across a facility and/or region.
• Experience within a highly regulated environment required.
• Strong knowledge in areas of asset optimization, life cycle management, and project management.
• Expert knowledgeable in areas of regulatory requirements as well as equipment system qualification and validation.
• Proven ability to work with people and cross-functional disciplines including but not limited to manufacturing, maintenance, marketing, sales, R&D, EHS, Procurement, Finance and upper management.
• Demonstrated ability to work with customer team members, technical experts, professional staff, and focus on customer satisfaction.
• Understanding of EHS, GMP, NEC, HIPPA, EPA and OSHA's regulations.
• Fundamental understanding of motivation, development, and leadership behaviors.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Project Management Certification (PMP) a plus.
• Project management and leadership of an automation project of $1MM USD or greater that required Computer Systems Validation as well as interaction with different functions at diverse levels of the organization.
• Capital project management of projects of $5MM USD or greater.
• Proficiency required with Process Control solutions including GE iFix/iBatch, Rockwell’s Plant PAX, Wonderware, Emerson Delta V or equivalent SCADA process control system with S88 architecture.
• Knowledge of OsiSoft products (OSI PI Historian), including PI Processbook and Datalink from a design, administrative and end user perspective.
• Experience with start-up and maintenance for interfaces to other third party applications and controls platforms such as but not limited to AS-I and Profibus IO systems.
• Network architecture, design and integration
• Expert in Active Directory and Domain administration including information security
• Extensive background of Reliability and Continuous Improvement