METL Experimental Facility Operator
The Mechanisms Engineering Test Loop (METL) at Argonne National Laboratory is an intermediate-scale liquid metal experimental facility whose purpose is to provide purified R-grade sodium to various experimental test vessels to test components that are required to operating in a prototypic advanced reactor environment. The METL facility will its services to researchers located at Argonne, in the U.S. and internationally.
We are now seeking an experienced electrical, mechanical, and/or chemical engineer to join our multi-disciplinary team that includes design engineers, test engineers, fluids and thermal researchers, and experienced technicians. In the role, you will design, build, test, operate and trouble-shoot cutting-edge experimental systems and sub-systems with a primary focus on the operations and maintenance of the facility.
As METL Experimental Facility Operator, you can expect to:
- Operate and maintain the METL facility and small and intermediate-scale liquid metal technology facilities.
- Provide technical support and/or direction for experimental and programmatic work in the areas of mechanical, electromechanical, optical, and electrical systems.
- Support the research needs of the R&D community who will be installing and testing components in METL.
- Develop, fabricate, troubleshoot, repair, calibrate, purchase, and maintain a variety of complex electronic and mechanical apparatus, plant/process equipment, and subsystems that support the METL facility and the experiments conducted in that facility.
- Design and test electronic systems which typically consist of power supplies and controllers, data logging hardware, and equipment for temperature and valve control.
Note: This description describes the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities.
We expect you to have:
- Advanced experience with experimental design and operation including instrumentation (thermocouples, pressure transmitters, flow meters, level, etc.) specification, installation and operation.LabVIEW/Eurotherm/industrial control experience is desirable
- Liquid metal technology expertise is desirable.
- Familiarity with industry standards and practices for electrical and/or mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment (motors, pulleys, gears, pumps, valves, etc.), thermal effects on materials and components (expansion, evaporation, etc.), and operation of a personal computer.
- Knowledge of metallurgy, heat transfer and fluid mechanics is desirable.
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of Laboratory policies and procedures.
The position may include shift work because METL will be operated 24 hours per day once operational.
The requirements for the desired levels are as follows:
- ST3 Level: Technical institute or AA degree and 7+ years of related work experience, Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and 4+ years of related work experience, or equivalent.
- ST4 Level: Technical institute or AA degree and 10+ years of related work experience, Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and 7+ years of related work experience, or equivalent.
You will be placed at the appropriate level (ST3 or ST4) depending upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, andexperiencebrought to the position.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Requisition Number: 403278