Production Director Job Description
1. Responsible for directing the production within the operation while partnering with internal & external stakeholders to ensure execution on production & delivery commitments.
2. Leads production operations, while building continuing to grow Polaris Culture in the Roseau facility
3. Implements plans and programs to enable best-in-class operating procedures and drive continuous rates of improvement in productivity, capacity utilization, reduced costs (labor, materials, waste, and inventory).
4. Promotes and maintains a safe working environment for employees.
5. Ensures supply chain & operational readiness for new product launches and delivering on the key metrics (i.e. On Time & In Full, Service Rating, Manufacturing Cycle Time and Quality).
6. Plans, directs, organizes and coordinates all of the production activities relating to product manufacturing and production control to streamline the systems and improve material flow.
7. Partners with Quality organization to drive product quality and quality improvements
8. Builds a production culture of continuous improvement, using Lean Standard Work at a fundamental level to create a culture that ensures all personnel are using standard work in the execution of duties.
9. Develops and executes annual production budgets as well as manages inventory and production plans. Minimize excess and obsolete inventory.
10. Responsible for the development of direct reporting managers and team members. Develops and maintains objectives, development plans, performance reviews and succession plans.
11. Fosters positive employee relations and high employee engagement.
12. Charters, facilitates, and leads teams to execute transformational improvement initiatives with direct and indirect labor.
Reports to: Plant Director, Roseau
Direct reports: Key Direct Reports:
Unit Manager ORV/Snow
Unit Manager Paint
Unit Manager Weld
Unit Manager Tube Fabrication
Unit Manager Injection Molding
Other key relationships: VP ORV
Director Engineering ORV
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Critical Competencies for Success
- A seasoned and knowledgeable manufacturing leader who has led manufacturing production environments. Deep Lean Manufacturing skill-sets with proven results. Has achieved product cost and gross margin improvement that builds year to year. Has built cultures based on continuous improvement, bench-marking and employee engagement.
- Exceptional leadership, team, and people skills. An individual who can set the production vision and strategy aligned with the plant vision. In addition, he or she must be able to improve upon all key performance metrics and hold people accountable to achieving the desired results. Finally, this person must be a change agent who can develop and motivate his team to higher levels of accomplishment.
- Relationship Building, influencing and interpersonal skills: Ability to develop relationships with third party leaders and with key executives across Polaris.
- High Potential and Promotable: An individual that has a proven track record of advancement and ready for promotion to Plant Director in 2-5 years.
1. 12+ years of manufacturing engineering/leadership in heavy assembly/automotive industries, including previous leadership of large production organizations.
2. Union or positive employee relations experience
3. Robust experience and education on lean or similar continuous improvement systems
4. 4 year degree in engineering or business related field required, masters preferred.
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
6. Strategic thinker with ability to be hands-on in the operation.