Counsel, Commercial and Contracts
5 - 7 years experience • Manufacturing / Electronics
The Associate General Counsel, Contracts and Commercial will assist with the evaluation, preparation and negotiation of a broad range of business transactions and participate in related activities in support of the Legal Department, including advising on contracts and contract administration, anti-competition, export controls issues including ITAR, as well as other areas of law and compliance that impact commercial contracts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties include the following - other duties may be assigned:
- Review, negotiate, and prepare all forms of commercial and business transaction documents such as domestic and international, sales, supply, distribution, non-disclosure, and confidentiality, consultant, and vendor agreements.
- Provide advice to business and functional teams concerning the same.
- In areas of responsibility, draft, implement and review corporate policies and procedures.
- Assist in general business due diligence, and provide legal advice on general business topics typical for an innovative, growth-oriented public company.
- Monitor and advise on regulatory matters that may impact the business of a public company.
- Conduct internal training and provide legal guidance on issues in areas of responsibility.
- Manage external counsel in in areas of responsibility.
Experience, Competencies and Education
- Law degree (Juris Doctor) from an accredited law school is required.
- Admission in good standing to at least one State Bar; admission in Massachusetts or Connecticut, a plus.
- 4+ years of demonstrated experience in areas of specific responsibility, either in a law firm and/or corporate in-house environment; General corporate transactional experience, a plus.
- Government contracts experience, including working knowledge and ability to interpret the Federal Acquisition Regulations and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement, a plus.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills are essential.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact and build relationships with employees at all levels of the business is required
- Ideal candidate will be equally comfortable in front of customers, suppliers and peers in both leading and supporting roles.
- Ability to think strategically, propose creative, pragmatic assessments and facilitate good business solutions to complex issues is necessary.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated, self-disciplined, and results oriented, with an ability to manage priorities and substantial workflow in a fast-paced work environment, with ever changing business and legal objectives.
- Must be willing to adapt to change as well as be capable of driving change.
- Must possess strong business judgment and the ability to understand and respond to business issues and needs.
- Must be respectful, professional and open minded, have a strong commitment to excellence and have an unwavering commitment to the highest standards of integrity, honesty, and business ethics.
- Must have strong command of the English language, in both verbal and written communications
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications required
- Proficiency with spreadsheet, project management and other databases, a plus
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must register as authorized in house counsel or equivalent (if applicable) in the jurisdiction where position is located
- Complete all necessary training as required by assigned department and position
- Participate in and follow all company initiatives
- Participate in continuous improvement projects (Kaizen events, 5S, etc.)
- Continuous sitting
- May need to be able to lift up to 30lbs on occasion
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT:
- Safety glasses with side shields and hearing protection is required when on factory floor
- The use of additional personal protective equipment (PPE) may be required when a job task(s) is being completed in or around your assigned department or in another department, this includes safety eyewear, hearing protection, and safety footwear
- All employees are required to apply ergonomic principles to all job tasks
- Normal office environment conditions
- Within the Smith & Wesson manufacturing facility, employees may be exposed to manufacturing noise, airborne liquid chemicals, fine particulate dust, ambient temperatures, and industrial lighting
- Work environment is similar to most manufacturing operations. May be exposed to excessive noise, temperatures, hazards associated with working around moving machinery, work in confined quarters, exposure to vibrations and shop lighting