Sr. Product Designer
Sony Creative Center San Francisco team is seeking a technology forward, confident, personable UX Designer, a strategist / storyteller / prototyping genius with a passion for gaming and experience working in the games industry. Someone with a keen interest and insight into emerging technologies, as you will partner with various internal teams and creative management to assist in shaping future product initiatives for one of the world's top brands.
The Senior Product Design role will be part of the newly formed R&D group within Creative Center San Francisco. Research and development designs and engineers new human-machine interactions for the future product experiences such as AR/VR, wearables, internet of things, leveraging Sony’s advanced technologies, along with exclusive collaboration with local tech startups located throughout the Bay Area.
- Contribute to discussion of high-level project goals and product strategy
- Partner with Research, Engineering and Business Development groups throughout the design and implementation process
- Design novel yet intuitive user interactions and interfaces
- Develop interactive prototypes to demonstrate and evaluate UX proposals
- Evaluate and integrate various peripherals and APIs into prototypes
- Participate in peer discussion during design review meetings to refine project work
- Organize tasks and self-manage schedule and deadlines
- Masters, or Bachelors degree in Design (e.g., interaction, graphic, visual communications, industrial), HCI, or a related field
- 5+ years professional experience as a UX Designer, Game Designer, Interaction Designer, or UX Engineer
- Spatial design skills and familiarity with skeletal tracking, gestural and tangible user interaction techniques and technologies
- Rapid prototyping ability to develop interactive 3D experiences using Unreal Engine, Unity, WebGL, or similar
- Strong portfolio with examples of process for shipped AR/VR products
- Exceptional (verbal and visual) communication and presentation skills
- Familiar with with working on cross-sector teams & user centered design process
- Ability to travel when required - domestically & internationally
- Office Suite (Outlook, Word Powerpoint, Excel)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects)
- 3D modeling software (Maya, Blender, Cinema 4D, Max)
- Game development engines (Unreal Engine or Unity)
- Gesture recognition SDKs (Kinect, LeapMotion)
The candidate should be a cultural fit within the organization. The following characteristics define a candidate that will succeed in our culture and for this position.
- Leadership / Vision: a pro-active, take charge leader with proven strategic vision; can manage, motivate, challenge, empower and delegate to others while leading by example; gains the trust of other parties quickly. Capable of defining project scope and direction in ambiguous territory. Possesses the wisdom and confidence to take educated risks. Has ability to see both the bigger picture and interdependent parts but not be afraid of getting involved in the detail when necessary. Is sought out by others for strategic advice and counsel.
- Curiosity: Has a naturally curious mind, loves to explore and nurture intellect; knows how to observe and identify patterns that identify trends and key insights early; knows how to ask the right questions (relevant) and quantity of questions necessary to uncover key information that can be made actionable. Probably, an avid observer and follower of popular culture and societal trends.
- Creativity: An innovative and resourceful person who thinks and acts “outside-of-the-box.” This individual possesses a left brain/right brain mindset. Recreationally they are likely to most enjoy nurturing their creative passions and hobbies across multiple categories, such as film, games, music, art, design, fashion, comics, literature, and news. Endeavors that push / challenge their perceptions and physical limitations.
- Technology Forward: Has a passion for technology, tinkering under the hood, and enjoys being a sought after authority and the resource that others turn to for emerging media and technology.
- Social Responsibility: Empathy and concern for team members, life work balance, Sony corporate community / culture, and corporate global responsibility.
- Communication: Excellent oral and written communication skills; a great presenter, an active listener with consultative capabilities; skillful communicator in tough situations where striking a balance between being direct/forceful and diplomacy is necessary.
- Open Minded: Approach to listening and problem solving is inclusive and open minded.
- Action Oriented: Self-motivated and self-starting individual who can take limited direction and produce tangible results. Capacity for learning on one’s own, whether it’s software tools or languages.
- Service Orientation: Recognizes the importance of providing outstanding service and support to both internal teams, agency partner teams and externally to partners.