15+ years experience • Construction
JOB SUMMARY: The General Manager has overall responsibility for the day to day operations of Tikigaq Construction, LLC and must be knowledgeable in calculating costs estimates; budgets and schedules; selecting appropriate construction methods for the job and budget; explaining contracts and technical information to employees; supervising construction personnel and activities onsite; developing work-arounds for delays and other problems; and hiring and training workers and subcontractors; as well as making sure the projects meet all building and safety codes.
REPORTS TO: Division Manager, Tikigaq Construction Services (Wasilla, Alaska)
PRIMARY OFFICE LOCATION: Wasilla, Alaska
TRAVEL REQUIREMENT: Position will require at a minimum thirty (30) percent travel time and applicant must maintain a valid U.S. passport.
The following duties are intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities and ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by the employees in this classification. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (other duties may be assigned)
- Reviews project proposals/estimates to determine time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of projects and programs.
- Establishes work plans and staffing for each phase of project(s) and/or programs, and arranges for recruitment or assignment of project personnel.
- Confers with project/program staff to outline work plan and to assign duties, responsibilities, and scope of authority.
- Directs and coordinates activities of project personnel to ensure project/program progresses on schedule and with prescribed budget.
- Reviews status reports prepared by project/program personnel and modifies schedules or plans as required. Prepares project reports for management, client, or others. Confers with project personnel to provide technical advice and to resolve problems.
- Responsible for coordinating business operations to develop and further business strategies. Reviews analyses of activities, costs, operations, and forecast data to determine department or division progress toward stated goals and objectives. Reviews and approves preparation of accounting analysis, for budgetary planning, implementation, production efficiency, and financial reporting.
- Provides leadership, direction, and guidance to assigned staff. Develops goals and priorities in conjunction with employees, and assigns tasks and projects. Develops staff skills and training plans. Counsels, trains, and coaches subordinate staff. Implements corrective actions and conducts performance evaluations.
- Represents TKIKIGAQ Corporation in external contact with partners, agencies and outside counsel as required. Assists and supports TIKIGAQ Corporation leadership in developing current and long-range TIKIGAQ Corporation goals and objectives, and in the achievement of those goals and objectives.
- Develops, manages and monitors project budgets and contracts. Completes internal and external written and oral reports professionally and in a timely manner. Coordinates with TIKIGAQ Corporation finance department to insure timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following fields; BS Construction Management, BS Civil Engineering or BS Business Administration.
A minimum of fifteen (15) years construction management experience which would include Project Management, Projects Management, Program Management, Division Management. Prior General Manager experience is preferred.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
Delegation – Delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; displays passion and optimism; mobilizes other to fulfill the vision.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitation and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost savings measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
Judgement – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgement; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops action plans.
MUST POSSESS THE FOLLOWING KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Knowledgeable in computer estimating (HCSS Heavy Bid preferred)
- Knowledgeable in computer scheduling (Primavera preferred)
- Knowledgeable in construction and its critical operations
- Knowledgeable in Federal contracting requirements
- Knowledgeable in both Heavy Civil and General Building Construction
- MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- The following demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to lift approximately 20 pounds.
- This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.