Manager Turbine Engineering
11 - 15 years experience • Energy / Utilities
Requisition ID: 39402
Responsible for managing the Turbine Engineering Department which is made up of Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) in combustion turbines, steam turbines, and support systems. The Turbine Engineering Department is centrally located at the corporate headquarters, but provides on-site support to all of the PSEG Fossil’s generating stations in states including (but not limited to) NJ, NY, CT, and MD. The fleet includes coal, combined cycle, and peaking generating stations. The combustion turbine fleet includes 7EA, 7FA, 7HA, LM6000, V84.2, SGT6-5000F, and the Steam Turbine fleet includes D-11, etc…
The Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Direct staff as necessary to support the generating stations with their turbine related maintenance outages, forced outages, troubleshooting, projects, technical studies, design reviews, maintenance/operations recommendations, and other issues and recommendations.
- Assist staff in the management of the Turbine spare and repaired parts and technical services contracts with OEM’s. Revise and create new technical service contracts as needed
- Assist staff in development of combustion turbine component repair and purchase specifications. Facilitate condition assessment through interpreting data from borescope, performance software, monitoring & diagnostic and vibration reports
- Work with staff, stations, and central outage planning group to prepare 20 year business plan of the timing and costs of planned turbine outages and inspections, as well as outage scopes and budgets.
- Establish strong alliances and partnerships with Station Management (Technical Managers, Operations Managers, Outage Managers, Station Managers), Manager of System Engineering, Project Managers, and the central outage planning group.
- Establish relations with outside user groups, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), architectural/engineering (A/E) firms, vendors, and other recognized system experts in order to provide assistance to the stations.
- Lead the Turbine Engineering Department to identify new technologies or methods in order to enhance safety, improve efficiency, improve reliability, or increase production of the generating stations.
- Ensure Turbine Engineers are familiar with the condition and issues of the equipment/systems of their discipline at each station. Make sure Turbine Engineers are in routine contact with stations to keep abreast of issues.
- Ensure that systems comply with engineering principles, company standards, contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Ensure Department is properly staffed, and that employees are properly trained, technically competent, and motivated.
- Encourage teamwork and engagement within the group, and with the stations.
- Provide technical and managerial oversight to the Turbine Engineering Department, and create procedures as needed
- Maintain Department budget and resources.
Required Skills, Competencies, Education and Experience:
- BS degree in Engineering
- At least 10 years power generation industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience working on turbine related projects and outages
- Comprehensive knowledge of power generating stations (coal, combined cycle, Peaking) as well as their various systems and equipment
- Comprehensive knowledge of steam and combustion turbines and their auxiliary equipment
- Experience managing service agreements (ex. CSA’s , PSA’s, etc..)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Team player and works well with others.
- Flexibility with handling several and changing priorities.
- Proven management skills
- Experience in system design and support
- Analyze and diagnose systems and processes
- Program development
- Process development
- Root cause analysis skills
- Candidate must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity.
- Successful candidate must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
Desired Skills, Competencies, Education and Experience:
- PE license
- Advanced technical degree
- Experience with PI