Practical Law provides “know how” content to law firms and law departments across a range of subject areas. One of the keys to Practical Law is an in-house team of experienced lawyers who write content and help shape the service. We are looking for a talented individual to join the Practical Law team as a Senior Lawyer Editor.
To create and maintain valuable content for Practical Law Canada, in order to satisfy customer needs and ensure corporate revenue targets are met.
This position is responsible for:
- monitoring legal, practice and/or major market developments;
- drafting, writing, editing and maintaining content, including standard form documents, practice guidance notes and checklists in accordance with Practical Law Canada writing standards;
- leveraging existing databases for content and revising where necessary;
- developing ideas for content to be published on Practical Law Canada;
- developing and sustaining relationships with law firm contributors providing content;
- developing and sustaining relationships with law firms, lawyers, in-house counsel and industry groups to ensure content is topical and meets their needs;
- assisting the sales team on sales calls and service demonstrations for potential subscribers; and
- assisting the marketing team on webinars and the creation of educational programs.
You will be a strong team player and will possess:
- an LL.B (a Canadian LawDegree);
- membership in the bar of Ontario, Alberta or British Columbia;
- a minimum of 10years’ experience working as a commercial real estate lawyer in a large or mid-sized Canadian law firm or company;
- excellent drafting and writing skills, including: very close attention to detail; impressive command of grammar, punctuation and plain English; and the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply;
- enthusiasm, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services;
- a good understanding of the needs and priorities of law firms and in-house counsel and the Canadian legal market;
- expertise in a broad range of commercial real estate transactions, optimally including: experience representing and advising purchasers and/or sellers in a variety of commercial real property purchase and sale transactions, including drafting, negotiating and reviewing purchase and sale agreements and other related documentation and advising on legal issues, search requirements, deal structures and market practice; experience representing landlords and tenants in a broad range of commercial real estate lease transactions, including drafting and negotiating commercial leases and advising on legal issues and market practice; experience representing and advising lenders and/or borrowers in commercial real estate loan transactions, including drafting, negotiating and reviewing documents and advising on legal issues, deal structures and market practice related to commercial real estate loan transactions; comprehensive understanding of and current legal and market issues; and the ability to analyze and draft summaries of legal and market developments quickly.
- significant practice experience in one or more of the following areas is an advantage: Project Financing; REIT's; Project Development; and Construction Infrastructure;
- strong analytical, problem-solving and issue resolution skills;
- strong planning and organizational skills;
- entrepreneurial and leadership abilities;
- the ability to react with urgency and devote high levels of time and energy where deadlines require;
- familiarity with electronic research techniques; and
- PC skills (MS Office).
Thomson Reuters offers an environment that is both challenging and supportive, and we are proud to have been named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers from 2009 – 2017, a Best Workplace in Canada from 2006 – 2017, and a Great Place to Work for Women in Canada in 2015 and 2017. We consider work from home arrangements for people with a disability or specific accessibility needs. If requested, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment and assessment process.