Purpose of the Engineer I, OSP Design Position: Provide engineering design and implementation services necessary to support the company’s outside plant by providing design and mapping to maximize the design; compile/review and maintain related project data and support data systems, development, and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure accuracy and consistency of related data systems.
Focus of the Position:
- Prepare fiber splicing packets (SPACs) to create splicing documentation circuit between alpha and omega locations.
- Support emergency fiber repairs to include taper reports, identifying priority circuits, and damage locations.
- Support workgroups with fiber feasibility studies to include construction requirements and fiber availability information.
- Issue fiber assignment request form responses to include updating fiber management databases and issued supporting documentation to include port assignments and light losses.
Essential Duties for this position:
- Assist with System Design and Review of OSP Projects/Data:
- Creation, maintenance and archival of electronic design and mapping files (State Wide).
- Hybrid fiber coax projects; plant line extensions and electronic upgrades, including aerial pole lines, buried applications and in-conduit systems;
- Building entrance facilities, including structural requirements, riser cables, routing, terminations, and equipment room layouts and equipment configurations;
- Coordinate with utilities, agencies and other GCI departments to ensure service commitments are reasonable and attainable and to facilitate scheduling for subsequent internal plant maintenance, repair and/or extension;
- Review designs and specifications submitted by OSP staff and contractors for conformance with GCI standards, making recommendations as beneficial or necessary.
- Projects review/close-out to ensure “as-build” information and records are returned and updated, consistent with actual conditions.
- Upon direction of OSP Design Manager and/or Director of OSP D&C, may be assigned management of designated projects and/or subcontractors, including scope, schedule, budget, permitting/leasing/access requirements, tracking, monitoring and reporting.
- Statewide Documentation:
- Assist in development, implementation and maintenance of accurate statewide operational support systems (as-built, design files, internal web page, permits, leases, etc.)
- Assist in development, review and implementation of statewide GCI policies, procedures and standards for OSP design, construction, and related project management and administration.
- Assist in quality assurance review to determine whether or not documentation complies with applicable GCI standards; take corrective measures as warranted.
Additional Job Requirements: This is an entry level position for the degreed engineer. Must be competent at preforming engineering calculations for further review by senior staff. Completes tasks on time and within budget. Works under supervision, assists with design, mapping and documentation of outside plant including electronic and hard copy support/data systems. Coordinates as directed with OSP project managers and field personnel to update and maintain data bases
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding and familiarity with applicable state, federal and local rules and regulations pertaining to design, construction and maintenance of fiber and coax.
- Experience in hybrid fiber coax design, splicing, construction and project administration.
- Ability to interact effectively with utilities and deal professionally with public access issues/requirements.
- Ability to generate plats and system design maps using Lode Data and AutoCAD.
- Ability to generate fiber cut sheets and design layouts using Excel, MapInfo and approved fiber management system (OSP Insight) or equivalents.
- Communication skills – demonstrated ability to effectively relay technical information/concepts, verbally and in writing, to customers, contractors, utilities, and departmental personnel with varying degrees of technical knowledge; Ability to generate and translate information in drawings, blueprints, spreadsheets, as-built, etc. to others; must be comfortable speaking in public and group settings.
- Project management - ability to assist in: negotiation and administration of contracts; evaluation of work in progress; management and direction of craft personnel/contractors; establishing amiable working relationships with customers, contractors, utilities, enforcement agencies, general public, and other departmental personnel.
- Computer skills – familiarity with (OSP Insight) or equivalents, AutoCAD, Lode Data or their equivalents; must be able to operate Microsoft Office package or equivalent spreadsheets, word processing, email, database and presentation programs. Familiar with OSP insight or equivalent.
- Minimum of one year’ experience for the degreed engineer in the following areas is required.
- Experience should be in plant engineering, coax design, construction, maintenance, and project management.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Telecommunications or related field is required.
In addition to minimum experience required, a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.