Associate/Senior/Study Director - Neuromuscular Disorders
The Jackson Laboratory is seeking an experienced PhD level scientist with relevant and extensive experience across a number of mouse models of neurological and neuromuscular disease. The incumbent is expected to apply their knowledge and experience on client based studies as well as to develop and characterize new mouse models and platforms for preclinical therapeutic testing.
Study Directors have ultimate accountability for ensuring studies are executed to the specifications of the client outlined in a scope of work, meeting or exceeding client expectations without deviation and on a specific budget.
The incumbent is responsible for mentoring Project Manager(s), Senior Project Manager(s), and a team of technicians tasked with executing scientific studies on behalf of external or internal customers in a collaborative in vivo laboratory environment. In addition, the incumbent will ensure accuracy in: quoting, revenue forecasting and invoicing of the studies.
- Provide scientific guidance and support to clients meeting or exceeding their expectations for quality of service and execution of science.
- Support the development of new mouse models and preclinical testing platforms
- Provide leadership to staff within your reporting structure ensuring they have adequate training and mentoring to support the in vivo services drive for scientific quality and operational efficiency in support of the labs goals and holding them accountable for the same.
- Ensure staff understand and are compliant with all policies, procedures and practices established by the organization thus ensuring the most efficient operation of the laboratory to provide clients with the highest quality scientific service while meeting organizational operations and financial targets. This includes AXAPTA data entry, LIMSdata entry, PPE requirements and general lab operations.
- Work with colleagues to establish agreed standards for our most frequently run studies and ensure these standards are followed unless changes are well documented and approved by the client. Ensure baseline model performance data (such as disease induction rate, disease progression timeline, etc) are compiled, submitted to the head of operation and Business Unit Manager, and shared with colleagues.
- PhD in a life science
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ post doctoral training. Experience in a contract research laboratory, pharmaceutical or biotechnology industries is preferred
- Extensive experience in neuromuscular research, such as muscular dystrophies, ALS and peripheral neuropathy
- Experience with preclinical research, in vivo study design and animal research (preferably rodents).
- Excellent management/supervisory skills and proven experience with mentoring direct reports.