The core function of this position is to plan, design, develop, and manage TelePacific’s Carrier Ethernetnetworkinfrastructure. This position will be responsible for the overall design of the TelePacific network specifically related to the Metro Ethernetarchitecture including EOC (Ethernet over Copper), EOF (Ethernet of Fiber), Metro E and ENNI (EthernetNetwork to Network Interface). This position will also be responsible for development of new services, testing of services and working with other departments within TelePacific communications to manage and meet the needs of the business.
Works under the supervision of the NetworkEngineering Manager / Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Architecture. Planning, Design, Deployment, and Management of the following:
• Fiber over Ethernet including Carrier Ethernet Switches
• Ethernet over Fiber with DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) technologies
• Ethernet over Copper technologies
• Next Generation Packet transport technology
• Specific Elements not limited but includes the following:
• Cisco family of switches (ME-3600,3800, etc)
• Juniper family of Switches
• Adtran TA5K and other Integrated Access Devices
• Overture family of EoC, EoTDM and EoF products
• Alcatel Lucent family of WDM and Switching product
• Network management (EMS – electronic management systems) related to above vendors and technologies
• Represent Engineering Department in planning exercises with internal and external peers
• Remain engaged with technical forums and user groups
• Represent TelePacific Engineering at Vendor Summits
• Evaluate and Certify product with the MEF
• Lead Budgetary and Planning exercises
• Other relevant tasks as directed by department leadership
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) Graduation from an accredited four year college or university in a technical / engineering discipline.
(B) Ten (10) years of experience in telecommunications specifically related to IP/Ethernet engineering designing, testing and deploying Carrier Ethernet Networks.
(C) Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Strong engineering and operational experience in Service Provider networks
• In depth understanding of MEF standards (CE 1.0 and 2.0)
• Understanding of Ethernet Switching technologies and Protocols
• Experience configuring and maintaining Carrier Ethernet Switching
• Hands on experience configuring Carrier Ethernet Switches
• Good knowledge and understanding of Ring Topologies, standards including G8032
• Experience with ENNI, standards and interconnection between carriers
• Testing experience in Lab and field environment
• Must be proficient and fluent in the English language
• Must have the ability to regularly communicate in a manner that is respectful, professional and collaborative
This position requires limited short-term travel assignment with short notice. Projected 10-15 % travel. Amount of and mode of travel will be based in large part of geographical location.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer, including word-processing, database and spreadsheet programs; calculator, telephone, copy and fax machine, Microsoft Office and Visio applications
ï€¸ The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ï€¸ Percentage of time sitting at desk, typing on keyboard, viewing computer monitor; 70% – 80%.
ï€¸ While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
ï€¸ The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
ï€¸ The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ï€¸ The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.