Labor and Delivery Nurse Manager
Hospital is a 691-bed not for profit academic medical center which serves as the Regional Perinatal Center for Southwest Georgia.
Our Labor and Delivery Manager is a key position in our Women's and Children's Service Line. The unit includes High-Risk Labor and Delivery, 2 Operating Rooms and an Antepartum Unit, with annual deliveries reaching 2500 per year. This position is supported by a Team Leader, a Data Coordinator, A Quality Nurse Specialist, an Educator and a Nurse Navigator.
The position reports to the Director of Women's and Children's Services. Ideal candidates will be innovative and take a transformational leadership approach to problem solving for their department. Experience and knowledge in change management, with a strong record of executing large change projects, along with building relationships and developing others on their team, will be essential in this position.
3-5 years of RN experience in Labor and Delivery Required, inclusive of the OR component (preferred).
1-2 years of previous Manager experience highly preferred.
BSN Required, Master's preferred (Can be in Nursing, Business, Public Health or any other related field)
Direct and supervise functions and activities in unit; interpret and implement policies, procedures, standards and regulations to personnel, patients, medical staff, public. Perform duties in any nursing capacity as needed. All activities will be performed in support of the strategy, vision, and values. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All activities must be in compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity laws, HIPAA, ERISA, and other regulations, as appropriate.
• Adheres to the hospital and departmental attendance and punctuality guidelines
• Performs all job responsibilities in alignment with the core values, mission and vision of the organization
• Performs other duties as required and completes all job functions as per departmental policies and procedures
• Maintains current knowledge in present areas of responsibility (i.e., self education, attends ongoing educational programs)
• Attends staff meetings and completes mandatory in-services and requirements and competency evaluations on time.
• Demonstrates competency at all levels in providing care to all patients based on age, sex, weight, and demonstrated needs. For non-clinical areas, has attended training and demonstrates usage of age- specific customer service skills.
• Wears protective clothing and equipment as appropriate.
• Organizational Skills, Communication Skills, Interpersonal Skills, Customer Relations, Mathematical, Analytical, Grammar / Spelling, Read / Comprehend Written Instructions, Follow Verbal Instructions, Basic Computer Skills.
• General environment: Works in a well-lighted, air-conditioned area, with moderate noise levels.
• May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights.
• May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids, or infectious organisms.
• May be required to change from one task to another of different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
• Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur.
• Long-distance or air travel as needed - not to exceed 10% travel.
• May be scheduled as needed including overtime
• 4year / Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (Required)
• 2 - 3years Experience in an Acute Healthcare Setting in area of specialty with proven management skills (Required)
• Have near normal hearing; Hear alarms/telephone/tape recorder/normal speaking voice
• Have near normal vision: Clarity of vision (both near and far), ability to distinguish colors
• Have good manual dexterity
• Have good eye-hand-foot coordination
• Ability to perform repetitive tasks/motion
Occasionally within shift (1-33%) :(Standing, Walking,
Sitting, Bending/Stooping, Twist at waist, Pushing/Pulling, Lift/carry up to 20 lbs ,
Lift/carry > 20 lbs with assistance,
Reaching above shoulder)
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSURES
• Required Certifications/Licensures: Registered Nurse (RN) with current Georgia license, Basic Life Support (BLS), Department Specific Certifications may be required.
OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE: Aligns work with strategic goals and understands business impact. Strong performance includes mastery of the following skills and tasks and related behaviors:
• Sets and achieves challenging goals.
• Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
• Develops processes and systems that ensure consistently high performance.
• Establishes and maintains effective relations. Builds rapport up, down, and across the organization.
• Recognizes and acts on opportunities to include calculated risk taking.
• Establishes collaborative relationships and networks to achieve objectives.
TEAMWORK & COMMUNICATION:
Contributes to building a positive team spirit by offering assistance and support to co-workers, communicating clearly and effectively, and collaborating withothers to ensure that team goals are consistently achieved. Strong performance includes mastery of the following skills and tasks and related behaviors:
• Listens well, gives and welcomes feedback.
• Offers assistance and support to co-workers and works actively to resolve conflicts.
• Communicates with tact and consideration and keeps others adequately informed.
• Effectively expresses ideas verbally and in writing.
• Puts success of team above own interests.
MANAGING PEOPLE: Creates an environment that motivates superior performance. Strong performance includes mastery of the following skills and tasks and related behaviors:
• Develops challenging goals and plans for area of responsibility and gains employee engagement and commitment.
• Provides regular and timely performance feedback.
• Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth.
• Makes self available and takes responsibility for subordinates.
• Creates a climate of cooperation, recognition, contribution and stability.
• Utilizes effective techniques of conflict resolution.