JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE
Under the leadership of the Regional Operations Controller, the primary responsibility is to forge strong business partnerships and provide cost analysis and decision support to the functional leaders of the Lorain, OH manufacturing facility and Service Centers in Warren, MI and Elmhurst, IL. Improve the accuracy of standard costs and enhance SAP systems. Provide value added cost analysis, insights, and recommendations to drive cost reductions and process improvements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build cross-functional business partnerships with Operations Teams and provide cost analysis, financial insights, and decisions support.
- Analyze and monitor labor, overhead and material variances vs. budget and forecast and provide proactive recommendations to enhance financial performance.
- Identify and drive cost reductions and continuous improvement, including the maintenance of reporting to monitor actual performance vs. savings targets.
- Maintain standardized Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to monitor manufacturing metrics and recommend corrective actions, as needed.
- Analyze capital spending requests by completing cost savings and payback analysis to maximize ROIC.
- Perform all month-end closing activities for assigned locations, including the preparation of journal entries, management reports, and the monthly audit binder.
- Conduct review and analysis related to production order activity, spending variances, balance sheet accuracy, and the need for accruals.
- Analyze and bridge Plant variance forecast to actual financial results to explain results to Plant Leadership and ensure accuracy of month-end close.
- Coordinate the annual operating budget, including standard cost of goods sold, manufacturing variances and plant cost center budgets.
- Improve and maintain the standard cost system for assigned locations. This includes daily cost updates, the annual standard cost change, development of work center overhead rates, and cost analysis as requested by management.
- Coordinate annual physical inventory and audit of cycle counts at assigned locations.
- In partnership with Corporate Accounting and the PAC Director of Global Accounting, maintain compliance with US GAAP all company accounting policies.
- Maintain procedural documentation for Sarbanes-Oxley compliance initiatives.
- Assist with requirements of both internal and external auditors during quarterly and annual audits.
- Support the New Product Development (Stage-Gate) process by providing preliminary cost estimates to FP&A Managers to help ensure products are launched with accretive margins.
- Coordinate efforts with FP&A Managers by proactively identifying opportunities to expand margins by reducing product costs.
- Identify and implement enhancements and upgrades to SAP systems to better support cost accounting and variance analysis.
- Partner with Supply Chain to drive inventory reductions to improve Working Capital.
- Actively seek to continually improve and automate systems and processes that support operational analysis, cost accounting, and management reporting.
- Back-up for the cost accounting function for the Elmore OH and Reading PA plants.
- Provide cost accounting project support to Elmore OH plant.
- Ad-hoc projects and analysis / other duties as assigned.
- Travel requirements approximately 15-25% (including local travel to Elmore, OH).
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the position described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the role.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- 7+ years of accounting/analysis experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong understanding of Product Costing required
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience with SAP is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- Possess the highest level of integrity and ethics.
- Dependability, trustworthiness, and ability to work on confidential projects.
- Must abide by International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and must be able to obtain security clearance, if necessary, to perform job functions.
- Natural leadership and Team building skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problems solving skills.
- Must possess a sense of urgency, a strong work ethic and a results orientation.
- Willing to embrace change and able to implement change.
- Able to interact with all levels of associates and work in a Team-oriented environment with a service attitude.
- Proven ability to forge strong cross-functional business partnerships.
- Continuous improvement orientation / process improvement mindset.
- Good planning and organization skills combined with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Should be a self-starter with initiative and solid time management skills.
- Loves to improve things and add more value.
- Proactive, practical and resilient.
- Enjoys working in a casual work environment.
- Always up for a new challenge.