Manager, Application Solutions
This position is responsible for managing application maintenance and development of technology systems and IS personnel in support of business requirements and initiatives. This position is accountable to:
1) Deliver quality software on time, on budget, and with agreed and specified scope
2) Maintain business and IS service levels and daily operations effectively and efficiently
3) Appropriately lead and manage IS staff including business and systems analysts, application developers and architects.
The incumbent provides leadership to functional teams. Collaborates with peers inother departments,technology and business experts, various functional areas, vendor partners and outside consultants to delivertechnology solutions. Upholds corporate policy while ensuring compliance with corporate and industry standards and regulations. Create a team environment that promotescooperation, accountability, customer focus, and effective work relationships in order to attain business goals.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Provide direction and planning for current and future business and technical changes, contractual obligations and legislative regulations.
- Identify opportunities to improve critical business/technical processes.
- Establish direction, aligning to business and architectural requirements, of department applications.
- Assess external and internal impacts to define a course or direction.
- Understand procedures associated with introducing new information technologies.
Direct and manage staff.
- Promote and ensure a culture of inclusion.
- Develop and provide input to skills assessments and oversee personal development plans for individuals and team leads.
- Coach, manage and develop team leads and staff by establishing clear goals, expectations and strategies for employee performance.
- Insure consistency in talent management within the department.
- Develop and administer performance reviews with measurable goals.
- Provide opportunities for staff to maintain current industry knowledge.
- Develop, maintain and track department budget.
- Manage teams that span geographic areas or functional areas.
- Establish and use metrics to demonstrate operational excellence.
- Develop and implement short- and long-term plans.
- Prepare RFI’s/RFP’s and evaluate responses in support of appropriate technical vendor solutions and business vendor solutions.
Communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Manage customer expectations.
- Facilitate meetings.
- Plan, design and provide presentations.
- Represent Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee with outside entities.
- Collaborate with customers, staff, IS and other stakeholders to identify direction to reach customer goals, assess impacts, consider available and emerging technologies, compare costs and benefits and recommend solutions.
Provide oversight of all aspects of project management to ensure continuous improvement of processes.
- Work with customers to identify and understand their goals and direction.
- Develop and adhere to internal standards and strategies.
- Ensure adherence to approved methodologies.
- Provide oversight regarding metrics, funding, budgets and resources.
- Coordinate resources, time, contingency plans and risk management.
Provide Leadership to the department.
- Champion organizational change.
- Encourage participation in activities that support relationship development.
- Champion innovation.
- Demonstrate and champion the following characteristics in fulfilling the responsibilities of the job: accountability, collaboration and ethics.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent work experience is required. (Equivalentyears of experience are determined as one year of technical experience for every year of college requested)
- Master’s degree, PMP certification and/or ITIL certification preferred.
- 3 years’ experience in management or supervisory/team lead capacity required.
- Minimum 8years’ systems analysis, design and project management experiencerequired.
- A proven technical background with a history of relational database, multiple tier systems, and application delivery and support.
- Proven skill with information technology in use at BCBS Tennessee
- A solid base of knowledge of health care activities and processes preferred
- Vendor relationship management and administration including contracts, price negotiation, and budgeting.
- Analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to conceive and deliver innovative solutions in a changing environment.
- Demonstrated competency in project execution
- Ability to define, implement and adhere to application architecture and road maps. Knowledge and background in services oriented architecture.
- Teamwork and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain customer trust and confidence
- Knowledge and understanding of business needs
- Demonstrated abilities in relationship management and the ability to effectively interact with a broad and varied audience.
- Proved commitment to customer service and software delivery excellence
- Communication skills in technical and non-technical forums.
Job Specific Requirements:
BBEX 13 T60215-EX/CAP Grd 13
This position is accountable for the development of the new enterprise claims recovery system and the maintenance of the current legacy financial recovery system.
Position Specific Qualifications:
Customer focused leader with experience leading large software development teams.
In-depth understanding of financial applications and custom application development utilizing Agile delivery methodology.
Excellent multi-level communication skills with recent experience in collaborating with diverse business partners within a large organization.
Proven ability to lead complex programs to successful delivery, while motivating teams of technology professionals.
Effective project management skills that ensure accurate tracking financials, schedule, and delivery milestones.
Experience working with global delivery teams strongly preferred.