The Finance & Accounting Department of Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP has an opening for an Accounting Supervisor in the Tallahassee Operations Center. The Accounting Supervisor will assist the Manager of Accounting in reconciling general ledger accounts, preparing and analyzing monthly financial statements and preparing financialschedules as required as well as supervising the staff accountants in the Tallahassee Operations Center. The Supervisor also will assist the Director of Accounting, Director of Tax & Payroll and Treasury Controller as needed.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervises the Staff Accountant(s) in Tallahassee on all issues related to general journal entries, financial statement generation, and reconciliations regarding day-to-day issues that may arise.
- Monitors/responds to day-to-day inquiries related to the general ledger and expense accounts. Provides detailed information and reports as required.
- Assists with the review of the Income Statement line items for large actual to budget variances for assigned offices. Researches variances before month-end close-out. Reviews the Balance Sheet for accuracy.
- Serves as liaison to Non-US offices and ensure timely postings of monthly activity.
- Assists in the interim and year-end audit. Prepared schedules as required; provided information to auditors; reviewd and verifies the financialreports provided by the outside auditors.
- Collaborates with the Accounting Manager and Director of Accounting to create and improve accounting processes.
- Reviews and prepares reconciliations on a monthly basis for assigned balance sheet accounts.
- Reconciled assigned bank account(s) and credit card accounts on a monthly basis.
- Prepared monthly journal entries as required.
- Responds to general ledger expense queries, provides information and prepares, inputs, and reviews journal entries (including reclassifications) as needed.
- Provided detail information and reports as required. Monitors timely response by GL staff.
- Reviews the Income Statement line items for large actual to budget variances for assigned offices. Researches variances before month-end close.
- Fulfills additional responsibilities in the absence of other accounting supervisors and/or staff accountants.
- Assist the Accounting Manager, Treasury Controller and the Director of Accounting with the Firm’s bank functions include transmitting wires as required and responding to bank queries.
- Provides back-up for Accounts Payable and Trust departments with domestic wires and ACH disbursements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- Minimum of five years of experience in accounting, with experience at a law firm or other professional services organization preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience at a law firm or other professional services organization preferred.
- Public accounting or auditexperiencepreferred.
- CPA or CPA candidatepreferred.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (data manipulation, advanced formulas, pivot tables, vlookups, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of accounting, including journal entries, reconciliations, expense variations, etc.
- Experience with multi-currency reconciliations/transactions.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, meet deadlines, and maintain flexibility with work assignments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Attention to detail essential.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle a number of responsibilities simultaneously with a sense of urgency while maintaining accuracy.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, as necessary.
Job Number: 996